ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVA T4 vs. QRX212  (Read 2541 times)

Brian Larson

DVA T4 vs. QRX212
« on: December 06, 2012, 02:13:28 AM »

I'm currently running a 2/side QRX212 rig that I'm very happy with. I'm looking to expand and the DVA series looks very interesting.

Eventually I'm looking at at a 6-8 per side T12 rig but I'm also interested in the T4 in the short term. I would hopefully be able to use the T4s in place of the QRX212s and also as downfill underneath the T12s on larger gigs.

Does anyone know how the T4 compares to a QRX212? Would 4-6 T4s  be a sidestep or even a downgrade to the QRX212s?

Peter Morris

Re: DVA T4 vs. QRX212
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 06:21:31 AM »

I'm currently running a 2/side QRX212 rig that I'm very happy with. I'm looking to expand and the DVA series looks very interesting.

Eventually I'm looking at at a 6-8 per side T12 rig but I'm also interested in the T4 in the short term. I would hopefully be able to use the T4s in place of the QRX212s and also as downfill underneath the T12s on larger gigs.

Does anyone know how the T4 compares to a QRX212? Would 4-6 T4s  be a sidestep or even a downgrade to the QRX212s?

I have never used the QRX212 but I suspect 4 to 6 x T4s could easily be a sideways step. I would skip the T4s and go straight to T12s …  3 per side to start with.  As rough guide 1 x T12 is worth at least 2 x T4s, probably more like 3 x T4s…. and the T12s sound better.
I have both T4s and T12s and in most situations we us the T12s unless there is a need for a smaller box and or more curvature in the array.

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 04:16:51 PM »

I have looked into this and what I have been told is that it takes 3-4 T4 to 1 QRx212 per side.  I haven’t demo’d or tested it; but a couple smaller local sound guys have the T4s.

I am looking at the dB Tech DVX D15 for small gig tops and then T4s or something for my bigger shows.
We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 05:15:11 PM »

What is your concept of equivalency?  Pattern?  Acoustic output?  Sound "quality"?

The reason I ask is that ground-stacking a few line array elements is pretty much a step down from what those same boxes would sound like if correctly deployed.  Correct deployment starts with doing coverage and SPL predictions using the manufacturer's software.  Correct deployment means hanging the array, not stacking it, and having enough of it to do the job.

If you're looking at eventually buying T12... they "street" new for around US$4200.  For that price you might find used VerTec 4888, and you can certainly find used 4887A for less if you shop around.  You'd have the advantage of buying a recognized brand that has solid prediction software.  I suspect you can find used EAW KF730 for this money, too, and EAW seems to be getting its parts/service/support act back together.

Vertical arrays need more boxes than most Lounge-level folks can afford all at once, and trying to build a line/vertical array system on the box-a-month plan means that for the first year or 2 you'll be making a mediocre name for yourself and rig.  Focus on the coverage AREAS (width, depth, height) you routinely work or hope to work and then use the prediction software to see how many array elements you need to make it right.  If you can't afford that many boxes you're probably better off sticking to conventional, ground stacked speakers.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Peter Morris

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 08:04:53 PM »

What is your concept of equivalency?  Pattern?  Acoustic output?  Sound "quality"?

The reason I ask is that ground-stacking a few line array elements is pretty much a step down from what those same boxes would sound like if correctly deployed.  Correct deployment starts with doing coverage and SPL predictions using the manufacturer's software.  Correct deployment means hanging the array, not stacking it, and having enough of it to do the job.

If you're looking at eventually buying T12... they "street" new for around US$4200.  For that price you might find used VerTec 4888, and you can certainly find used 4887A for less if you shop around.  You'd have the advantage of buying a recognized brand that has solid prediction software.  I suspect you can find used EAW KF730 for this money, too, and EAW seems to be getting its parts/service/support act back together.

Vertical arrays need more boxes than most Lounge-level folks can afford all at once, and trying to build a line/vertical array system on the box-a-month plan means that for the first year or 2 you'll be making a mediocre name for yourself and rig.  Focus on the coverage AREAS (width, depth, height) you routinely work or hope to work and then use the prediction software to see how many array elements you need to make it right.  If you can't afford that many boxes you're probably better off sticking to conventional, ground stacked speakers.

Hi Tim,

FWIW - what’s great about they T12s is that they will work with 2 a side.  For us they are probably our most used box because they are powered, relatively light, quick and easy to set up – they are suitable for so many application in my market and have replaced our traditional ground stack speakers in most situations.  Today we will be using 3 a side in a room we previously did with 2 x EAW KF650z + subs a side…. They are not as loud as the 650s but the results are better – more even SPL / coverage and throw, and the overall sound quality is better.

…and yes I know 2 or 3 boxes is not a line array but it works. When you have 4 or more boxes they start to behave like a line array. As someone who has owned a KF730 rig the T12s are louder, throw further and sound better than a non – focused 730.  Focused the 730s sound slightly better but don't throw as far.

The prediction software is excellent, as good as it gets – Ease Focus 2. you even get network control of each box - RDNet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP36BAnuOaY

The only negative is that they will not meet a rider spec.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 08:15:37 PM by Peter Morris »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 08:04:53 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.