ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: BAG END D18E-0 - Your thoughts?  (Read 8857 times)

Bill McIntosh

• Louisville KY
BAG END D18E-0 - Your thoughts?
« on: December 03, 2012, 10:41:53 PM »

I ran across a listing for one of these, asking $300.  I have not traveled to hear it yet, but is there a required controller for this to work?  Is that a decent price, assuming it is in working order? I use a DR260 for a crossover.

Application would be replacing a pair of PV-118 for a local cover band (pop, classic rock, a little modern country).  Goal is to get better quality and low end extension, not much louder.

Some hesitation about one two-driver box versus two singles, both for flexibility and for load in/out.
You always have to do the right thing, but that's not enough. You have a job where people have to trust you. You have to LOOK like you're doing the right thing.

duane massey

Re: BAG END D18E-0 - Your thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 11:02:00 PM »

Without the processor it's a pretty lame box.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 11:02:32 PM »

Bill,
I ran Bag End subs for a long time and found them OK for small club work but not much else. I finally upgraded the drivers with JBL 2242H 18" drivers and they have become monster subs equal to the JBL 718.

BE uses eminence drivers which are OK. I would stay away from this purchase and hold out until you could afford some better subs than than the D18E
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 11:10:22 PM »

Without the processor it's a pretty lame box.

No need for the processor. The box is just a pair of 18"s and will run fine using a DR 260.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 08:37:45 AM »

Bag End subs are basically small, sealed boxes intended to be run below resonance with the matching 'integrator' providing compensation for the resulting natural roll-off in LF response.  Without the integrator or comparable processing they are a small, sealed box with the expected LF response, with the integrator or comparable processing they can have extended low frequency output but at the tradeoff of lower output.  http://www.bagend.com/bagend/what_is_infra.htm and http://www.bagend.com/bagend/downloads/infra_spkr_sens.pdf put this in graphical form.

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 09:05:36 AM »

I can't add much to what Brad said, except that we've got one of these (and the ELF processor) in a fairly large studio control room, supplementing a pair of Meyer HD-1s, and it's adequate for that job.  Larger room and live band... maybe not.

As I recall the integrator boosts the low end at 6 dB/8ve, so it's not hard to see that you'd run out of amplifier voltage if you go very low or very loud.  Can you set up a DR260 to give you a boost like that on the low end?  It's essentially a mirror image of CD horn EQ.

GTD

Bill McIntosh

• Louisville KY
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 12:00:54 PM »

I can't add much to what Brad said, except that we've got one of these (and the ELF processor) in a fairly large studio control room, supplementing a pair of Meyer HD-1s, and it's adequate for that job.  Larger room and live band... maybe not.

As I recall the integrator boosts the low end at 6 dB/8ve, so it's not hard to see that you'd run out of amplifier voltage if you go very low or very loud.  Can you set up a DR260 to give you a boost like that on the low end?  It's essentially a mirror image of CD horn EQ.

GTD

Thanks -- I will go listen and see how it does.  The DR260 has subsonic synth, although I not tried it.  Might be more appropriate to use a parametric on the sub out, no need to get much below 30 Hz anyway.
It was not clear if this was a self-powered version, Bag End does not list a "-0" version, only -I and -R.
You always have to do the right thing, but that's not enough. You have a job where people have to trust you. You have to LOOK like you're doing the right thing.

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 12:17:55 PM »

It was not clear if this was a self-powered version, Bag End does not list a "-0" version, only -I and -R.

I wondered about that too.  Ours is a D18E-I, presumably for install.  "R" might be "road" version.  I don't know what "O" would be.  The powered versions seem to have a "P" prefix.

GTD

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 02:59:40 PM »

Thanks -- I will go listen and see how it does.  The DR260 has subsonic synth, although I not tried it.  Might be more appropriate to use a parametric on the sub out, no need to get much below 30 Hz anyway.

Avoid using subharmonic synths.  Really, truly, seriously.

As for subs in general, how much output do you need, what are your size/weight/powering limits?  There are probably much better alternatives than the Bag End.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bill McIntosh

• Louisville KY
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 02:42:30 PM »

Avoid using subharmonic synths.  Really, truly, seriously.

As for subs in general, how much output do you need, what are your size/weight/powering limits?  There are probably much better alternatives than the Bag End.

Thanks Tim -- I had not tried the synth, now I won't bother.

I checked that unit -- it is an install version that looked like it had toured (and been dropped off the liftgate).  Pass.

I am looking to keep the same low end volume but to extend the -3db to 30 Hz from current 40 Hz, and get a little more 'chest thump'.  The electronic pad is the primary sound through the subs, some kick and a little bass.  Drummer has good control and bass player does not get crazy so stage volume is not bad.

Limiting factors are budget (not much in the kitty right now) and packing in a mini van.  I would prefer 2 single cabs versus a double.  The current PV-118 subs are 22"W x 27"H x 19-1/2"D and weigh 75 lbs each -- ideally, new subs are not much bigger or heavier.  I can get help at the venue for load-in and load-out, not so much at home.  Self-powered is a plus, I can dispose of the amp and case.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 02:42:30 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.