ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: SDC Mics for Choir/Orchestra  (Read 20073 times)

Roland Clarke

Re: SDC Mics for Choir/Orchestra
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2012, 05:22:33 AM »

I ended up going cheap and getting some Samson C02s.  They work better (higher GBF) for theatrical stuff (which I do more than choir) because of their super-cardiod pattern.  And I got a great price.  I may get a pair of MXL 603s though as well and see how they compare to the KSM.  Thanks again for all your help.

I'll wade in with a slightly different perspective.  For quality, cheap, Stick condensors, you would be very hard pushed to beat the Rode NT5, particularly at it's price.  I know a highly respected classical recording engineer with a handful of Grammy's and other rewards to his name who absolutely love's them.

In regards to live sound, another engineer I know uses them for classical events all the time.  One of his regular gigs is Placido Domingo.  He told me that he simmed one against a Schoeps equivelent to check for polar response and said that it was remarkably similar.

In truth there are many microphones that will also do an ok job.  I'm thinking about microphones from the likes of Shure ksm, various Audio Technica's, even the humble C1000, yes, I know there isn't a lot of love shown round here for them, however, I've had situations where I have had to use them as that was all that was left/available and I've managed to get reasonable sound out of them.  Of course not my first choice and they are rather unsightly due to their ridiculous size, but a capable all rounder and you have to bear in mind their very low street price.

Craig Smith

« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2012, 11:29:49 AM »

I have heard good things about the NT5, especially for the price. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2012, 11:29:49 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 25 queries.