ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 10 or 12 inch PA speaker  (Read 18326 times)

Steve Garris

Re: 10 or 12 inch PA speaker
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 06:35:20 PM »

I think the powered Yamaha DXR10 would be perfect - but it's just slightly over budget.

Jon C Thomas

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 07:46:05 PM »

Was looking at around $400 to $500 speaker.

You can still get RCF art310/Art 312 for that price.
The sub will be overpowered with just about any upgraded top.

AllenDeneau

• Cookeville, TN / Nashville, TN
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 08:19:19 PM »

I am looking at buying some decent budget PA speakers for my PA. My venues will run between 30 and 100 people. Mainly just backing tracks and my vocals. I currently have Yamaha mixer a db 12 in powered sub and small mackie Srm 150 as monitors and I have a pair of powered dual 10 Kustom monitors as the mains. I think the Kustoms are decent for monitor but really don't think they have a quality sound. I sing mainly gospel music at small churches and I have a kind of low range voice. Read great reviews on the Alto 10 inch speakers just did not know if their would be a big difference in going to a 12 inch alto or the 12 inch Mackie Thumps. Really like to have a 10" speaker if they would do the job. thanks for input

While certainly not a super pro system why not look into something like the Peavey Tri-Flex System http://peavey.com/products/index.cfm/item/865/117536/TriFlex%20II

Or the B52 Matrix system http://www.b-52pro.com/products/Matrix1000V2.html

Again, these won't melt your face with SPL, nor are they the end all in sound quality but, they do sound pretty good AND they're easy to transport, setup and operate.

The mains strap onto the sub, when flipped up on it's wheels, and you transport the system as one piece. All amps are built in and connections are a snap. I've seen the Matrix system in action for a DJ conference with over 300 people in the room and they were pumping some serious hip hop and the system performed admirably.

If you ever get into a really small room and just need the 10" mains, with an external amp you can also just use those.

These systems easily come in under a grand and ready to go.

Let me know your location and I'll see if I have any buddies in the area with the Matrix system for you to hear..

Just saying.

As for the Alto's, I've never been able to get them to smooth out anytime I played with them but, I don't own them so it's only showroom experience.

The Eon 10's are a world of difference from the Eon 15's. The 10's really lack any punch and quickly run out of steam. I've used them both, older models, extensively and they're good for background volume at best. I use them for events where I simply need a remote and discreet speaker in an entirely different area.

If you can stretch your budget, get yourself @ $1600 or so and get a pair of the FBT Maxx4a's, you'll love them. I have a pair for smaller jobs and LOVE them. These 12 plastic boxes rock and can get wicked loud and still sound good. We actually use those in the stadium for Chicago Bears games WHILE the stadium PA is going and have zero issues with being heard. The speaker also has a 3 band eq, plus gain and volume on the cabinet and they are pretty light too. I absolutely recommend them...

Hope my ramblings help at all.
Allen D.
Sound | DJ | Lighting

Mark Gensman

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 02:32:48 AM »

I have two studio clients that are track singers doing exactly what you are.

They both use Fishman A220 units and are more than happy with the sound. Easy to set up and transport and perfect for smaller audiences listening to non rock and roll music.

Steve Kas

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 02:58:48 AM »

EV ELX-112P. < $500/box, less than 40 lbs, 1000 W, good vocal clarity, wood box (not plastic like comparable RCF), and onboard mixer. Great speaker for indoor audio. IMO, I wouldn't take these guys outside in the heat , though. Also, these guys need TLC because their outer covering easily scratches. I ordered 8 more for DJ, small club audio, and rental this week. I got 8 NEW  for $399/spk in a factory sealed box! EV warranty, etc..  Go to your local GC, etc..  You will be amazed by the sound of these cabs. They are not EAW NT's, but are worth every penny.

Doug Maye

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2012, 10:06:26 AM »

I am looking at buying some decent budget PA speakers for my PA. My venues will run between 30 and 100 people. Mainly just backing tracks and my vocals. I currently have Yamaha mixer a db 12 in powered sub and small mackie Srm 150 as monitors and I have a pair of powered dual 10 Kustom monitors as the mains. I think the Kustoms are decent for monitor but really don't think they have a quality sound. I sing mainly gospel music at small churches and I have a kind of low range voice. Read great reviews on the Alto 10 inch speakers just did not know if their would be a big difference in going to a 12 inch alto or the 12 inch Mackie Thumps. Really like to have a 10" speaker if they would do the job. thanks for input
   ummmmmmmmm.....what do the backing tracks consist of?    Reason I ask is that I was returning a favor to a neighbor by providing a small rig for a church event. So I set up a pair of QSC HPR122i's (similar to the KW12's) and a couple of Proel 15" powered subs. Set the limits on the guitars and vocals and suggest we try a dry run. As soon as they hit the backing tracks I realize I didn't have enough. Damn pipe organs take a lot to reproduce!

Scott Bolt

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2012, 04:15:57 PM »

My 2 cents ....

Considering that you are using them over subs, the ELX112's or the RCF312a's would be my choice.  I would slightly prefer the RCF's for reasons of being slightly less expensive, a more robust cabinet, and slightly better sound IMHO.

The positive of the ELX's is that you can easily audition them at any local guitar center.  Not a bad speaker at all, but the cabinet finish gets scuffed up easily (not as big a deal if you aren't going to be moving them around all the time).

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2012, 04:15:57 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 25 queries.