ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: vintage JBL amp: balanced input issues  (Read 8219 times)

Jan Koelmans

vintage JBL amp: balanced input issues
« on: December 03, 2012, 08:43:56 AM »

Hi,

I'd like to use two revised JBL 6012 mono amps (~1978) to drive my Tannoy Hpd315 monitors (Devon cabs) from the same era. Not being an expert at all, the instructions in the manual are not quite clear to me (http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Vintage%20JBL-UREI%20Electronics/JBL-6011~6012.pdf).

I'd like to use the balanced inputs of the amps, but the amps don't have the matching/bridging transformers installed (nor output transformers), and the manual seems to indicate they are neccesary for using the balanced inputs.

Would it be advisable to connect the amp's balanced inputs to a balanced 600 ohm source and drive 8 ohm speakers without matching/bridging transformers (and output transformers)? What negative effect may come from the missing matching/bridging transformers? Just some loss of gain or no/bad sound? Extreme SPL's are not required but I am hoping to get good sound from them..

Any other considerations I should be aware of?

Thanks a lot for any ideas on this!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: vintage JBL amp: balanced input issues
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 11:51:13 AM »

Hi,

I'd like to use two revised JBL 6012 mono amps (~1978) to drive my Tannoy Hpd315 monitors (Devon cabs) from the same era. Not being an expert at all, the instructions in the manual are not quite clear to me (http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Vintage%20JBL-UREI%20Electronics/JBL-6011~6012.pdf).

I'd like to use the balanced inputs of the amps, but the amps don't have the matching/bridging transformers installed (nor output transformers), and the manual seems to indicate they are neccesary for using the balanced inputs.

Would it be advisable to connect the amp's balanced inputs to a balanced 600 ohm source and drive 8 ohm speakers without matching/bridging transformers (and output transformers)? What negative effect may come from the missing matching/bridging transformers? Just some loss of gain or no/bad sound? Extreme SPL's are not required but I am hoping to get good sound from them..

Any other considerations I should be aware of?

Thanks a lot for any ideas on this!
The input and output transformers are for completely different uses.

You will need a LINE LEVEL (NOT MIC LEVEL) transformer for the input.  Just put it close to the amp-but depending on the transformer you might want to have it a couple of feet away to help reduce hum induction into the transformer.

The output transformer (for solid state) is for stepping the voltage up to a 70V line.  So no need for it with 8 ohm speakers.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 12:33:08 PM »

You will need a LINE LEVEL (NOT MIC LEVEL) transformer for the input.  Just put it close to the amp-but depending on the transformer you might want to have it a couple of feet away to help reduce hum induction into the transformer.

The output transformer (for solid state) is for stepping the voltage up to a 70V line.  So no need for it with 8 ohm speakers.

Also, there is no such thing as a "balanced" loudspeaker.  Loudspeakers are inherently single-ended.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Patrick Tracy

• SR Forums
  • Boulder, CO, USA
    • Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 01:23:38 PM »

Hi,

I'd like to use two revised JBL 6012 mono amps (~1978) to drive my Tannoy Hpd315 monitors (Devon cabs) from the same era.

Seems like odd gear to use for live sound.

Jan Koelmans

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 02:43:46 PM »

Does that mean that the amp will not accept balanced input without an input transformer? Because I get the impression from the manual that it will... Or is the Matching/bridging transfomer that it mentions actually some kind of balun/DI box, meaning that the amp is in fact not suited for balanced input as it is?

Bear with me here..

Jan Koelmans

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 02:46:42 PM »

Also, there is no such thing as a "balanced" loudspeaker.  Loudspeakers are inherently single-ended.

I'm aware of this, sorry if I suggested otherwise...

Jan Koelmans

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 02:56:09 PM »

Seems like odd gear to use for live sound.

Yes, sorry about that. I have no such intention ofcourse. May have come to the wrong place, but appreciate any help. Hopefully it does qualify as Pro gear, FWIW...

Patrick Tracy

• SR Forums
  • Boulder, CO, USA
    • Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 03:07:40 PM »

Yes, sorry about that. I have no such intention ofcourse. May have come to the wrong place, but appreciate any help. Hopefully it does qualify as Pro gear, FWIW...

The sister forums, R/E/P, is probably a better fit.

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 03:08:12 PM »

Back in the days we were watching Fred and Wilma roll into the drive-in some amplifiers (like these) came with sockets for optional plug in balancing transformers.   At they time they were fairly expensive options.

If you need balanced and are not concerned about keeping it vintage, simply add a radio shack 'ground loop isolator' . This will easily plug in to the exiting RCA inputs.

In many cases no adverse effect will occur by simply plugging mixer out to unbalanced in.

Patrick Tracy

• SR Forums
  • Boulder, CO, USA
    • Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 03:10:15 PM »

And of course there's ye olde Rane Note 110.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 03:10:15 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.