ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: opinions on sub xover  (Read 6516 times)

Ed Lohr

• Live Wire Sound Systems
opinions on sub xover
« on: December 02, 2012, 01:54:40 PM »

I've been entertaining the idea of running my subs on an aux but not sure how I want to set the crossover point between the subs and the mains. Right now I run my SRX715s in passive mode and crossover the subs at 140Hz with a 24db LW slope and no overlap. I know some people don't like to have any overlap when crossing over between different bands but I'm thinking that if I run the SRXs as full range mains with a low cutoff around 60-70Hz, I would then want to set the low pass on the subs around 120-130Hz to get a little more low mid (chest thump) out of the system. Has anyone tried this?

Jonathan Betts

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/JLB-Sound-and-Production/156817657745906
Re: opinions on sub xover
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 02:14:19 PM »

What are you using for subs?

I have my 715's high passed at 90 Hz with a LR 48 filter. My 718's are low passed at 88Hz with a LR 48 filter.

Overlapping filters can cause phasing issues.

John Chiara

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 02:18:53 PM »

I've been entertaining the idea of running my subs on an aux but not sure how I want to set the crossover point between the subs and the mains. Right now I run my SRX715s in passive mode and crossover the subs at 140Hz with a 24db LW slope and no overlap. I know some people don't like to have any overlap when crossing over between different bands but I'm thinking that if I run the SRXs as full range mains with a low cutoff around 60-70Hz, I would then want to set the low pass on the subs around 120-130Hz to get a little more low mid (chest thump) out of the system. Has anyone tried this?

Club system setup yesterday. 2 single 18 Subs running 35-80...with sone wide parametric out of band EQ to smooth the top end out. Mackie HD1531 crossed at 90 and up. I am usually happier with no overlap and independent filters.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 02:28:20 PM »

The "best" sound you can get is from a single source, referred to as a point source.  Once you introduce a second delivery of the sound from another source (speaker, strong reflection), the two sounds interact with both constructive and destructive interference.  This is often expressed by the term "comb filtering".

In attempting to get more "thump" out of your system by having multiple drivers delivering sound within the same range, you are also going to experience the problems associated with multiple-source delivery interference.

Learn what comprises the "thump" you want and give it to your speakers to reproduce.  If you simply need more volume, get louder speakers.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 02:30:11 PM »

If you drive the subs louder than the tops (fairly common) you'd be better off with UNDERLAPPED crossover points.  The disproportionately LOUDER you run the subs, the higher the ACOUSTIC crossover becomes for them.

Not knowing anything else about your rig, I'd low pass the subs at ~90Hz and tops around 90-100Hz as a starting point.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 10:29:39 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jonathan Betts

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/JLB-Sound-and-Production/156817657745906
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 03:03:23 PM »

If you drive the subs louder than the tops (fairly common) you'd be better off with UNDERLAPPED crossover points.  The disproportionately LOUDER you run the subs, the higher the ACOUSTIC crossover becomes for them.

Not knowing anything else about your rig, I'd low pass the subs at ~90Hz and tops around 9-100Hz as a starting point.

Good point. When I do shows where the bass needs to be 5db or hotter than the tops I adjust my sub LP to keep from crapping up 100-150Hz.

Ed Lohr

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 08:05:53 PM »

Thanks for the input. I'll keep running it like I have been. Crossover at 130Hz 24bd slope and no overlap. Going to ditch the aux fed subs idea too and just continue to the use low cut filter on the channels that need it.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 09:12:08 PM »

Thanks for the input. I'll keep running it like I have been. Crossover at 130Hz 24bd slope and no overlap. Going to ditch the aux fed subs idea too and just continue to the use low cut filter on the channels that need it.

And the crossover will still be wrong. Look at Jonathan Betts post above. Those crossover points are correct for the 715. Low mid doesn't come from the sub, it comes from your 15" driver and if crossed correctly will knock you on your ass. Better yet go to the JBL web site and use their crossover points for the 715. You'll find them to be very close to Jonathans.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Ed Lohr

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 09:58:45 PM »

And the crossover will still be wrong. Look at Jonathan Betts post above. Those crossover points are correct for the 715. Low mid doesn't come from the sub, it comes from your 15" driver and if crossed correctly will knock you on your ass. Better yet go to the JBL web site and use their crossover points for the 715. You'll find them to be very close to Jonathans.

Thanks I'll give that a try.

EvanKirkendall

• Personal Text?
    • Evan Kirkendall
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 03:17:41 PM »

140hz crossover, really? There's no thump up that high, only annoying mud. Personally, I'd run your subs up to around 70-75hz, and your tops down to 85-90hz, 24dB BW on both ends.

There's nothing wrong with overlapping crossover points either. If the mains have enough oomph to deliver down to 50-60hz, then use it! As long as you can phase align the whole thing, it actually works really well!

Evan
HarfordSound LLC
HarfordSound Facebook

-Your friendly neighborhood dealer for everything!-

*Voted most destructive on mids, 2006*
*Most low end at a rock show, 5 years running*

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 03:17:41 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.