ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: opinions on sub xover  (Read 6519 times)

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
Re: opinions on sub xover
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 07:40:58 PM »

140hz crossover, really? There's no thump up that high, only annoying mud. Personally, I'd run your subs up to around 70-75hz, and your tops down to 85-90hz, 24dB BW on both ends.

I agree. Running the crossover point up that high with a 24dB/oct. slope is unwarranted. With those tops, definitely under 100Hz. The subs will sound much better with a lower crossover point, less "boxy." My setup has the tops going down to 60Hz with the subs set at 50-55Hz since they're running considerably hotter than the tops.

As for switching away from "subs on an aux," I wouldn't recommend it.
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

Merlijn van Veen

• www.merlijnvanveen.nl
opinions on sub xover
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 08:39:34 PM »

Also consider what kind of filter topology you use. Different filters affect phase and consequently group delay differently. Butterworth for exemple AFAIK has the most overshoot at the XO frequency and might even be perceived as ringing, especially at lower frequencies where periods become longer. Same goes for filter order, 48 dB/oct. slope results in 360 degrees phase shift at XO. In case of i.e. 100 Hz this equals 1 cycle or 10 ms of delay.

Ed Lohr

• Live Wire Sound Systems
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 12:17:29 PM »

Looking at JBL recommended crossover points.... tops should be at 90 Hz with 24db LR slope. Bottoms at 88 Hz with 24db BW slope. Can't do the Butterworth right now so it'll have to be LR. I'll see how it goes this weekend. Thanks for all the input!

Jonathan Betts

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/JLB-Sound-and-Production/156817657745906
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 12:44:56 PM »

What processor are you using? I don't recall ever seeing a BW alignment used as a sub LP filter. BW filters are usually used as sub HPF's. Higher end processors like the DR 260, 4800 and Crown Itechs recommend using LR 48 db octave filters at the crossover point for the SRX line. On the other hand the DRPA recommends LR 24db octave filters.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 12:44:56 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.