ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: keyboard patches..stale sounding  (Read 6968 times)

Doug Maye

Re: keyboard patches..stale sounding
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 11:24:33 AM »

I've never heard a board with a B3, Rhodes, Wurli, or Clav setting that sounded good through a DI.  They're always too "tinkly".  Playing the keyboard through a guitar amp instead of a DI can make those vintage key settings come alive though.
I agree and disagree. DI's can make the top end "tinkly". But I would suggest a decent keyboard amp. Their freq resopnse usually goes 20-20k, and a guitar amp just can't cut it. I also agree that the stereo out is a significant upgrade to most mono outputs. I regularly rent out a MOTIF XS8 and Thraynor K4 amp and the players always make positive remarks regarding the sound. Any effect that are applied internallyto the keyboard comethru loud and clear in the amp. I use the amp as the Keyboardists monitor and have heard many times that they appreciated being able to hear what they are playing in regards to their personal touch.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 12:46:13 PM »

I agree and disagree. DI's can make the top end "tinkly". But I would suggest a decent keyboard amp. Their freq resopnse usually goes 20-20k, and a guitar amp just can't cut it. I also agree that the stereo out is a significant upgrade to most mono outputs. I regularly rent out a MOTIF XS8 and Thraynor K4 amp and the players always make positive remarks regarding the sound. Any effect that are applied internallyto the keyboard comethru loud and clear in the amp. I use the amp as the Keyboardists monitor and have heard many times that they appreciated being able to hear what they are playing in regards to their personal touch.

So you're saying plug the keyboard into an amp like we did in the 60's ? Never would have thought of that. I agree, but not with the need for a special amp. A Fender Twin reverb, Vox AC30, Ampeg portaflex, etc. all work wonderfully for this purpose. The problem is todays thought that everything needs a DI to the board. I look at that as a pretty lame and lazy approach to getting the instrument into the FOH. I sometimes wonder if the art of creating a good mix on stage has been lost by all but the best performers.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 12:46:13 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 22 queries.