ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Putting together a rig. What would you do?  (Read 6939 times)

Rick Powell

Re: Putting together a rig. What would you do?
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 12:41:13 AM »

For $8k you could get a big pile of LAB subs (probably 8 well built ones, used), if you don't mind wheeling around a 250 lb. sub.  They really are not so bad to move around until you have to lift them, lol.  The late Marty Bilecki had about 16 of them, I think, and I had the pleasure of running his rig a few times with the EAW boxes on top.  He also demo'ed a 1 over 1 stack at the Merrillville IN shoot-out a few years ago, and it was a nice punchy system.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 12:45:29 AM by Rick Powell »

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 10:07:18 AM »

What have you been renting for subs?

are you looking to "scale down" with these subs as well?
We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

Jon Ross

• Virginia
    • RoTech Sound
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 11:08:26 AM »

I have 4 of the 650e's and 4 SB1000z's controlled by the UX8800. I'm pretty happy with the sound of the rig and its size as far as storage and transport (fit the whole rig in a 5x8 trailer). Sure I'd love to have another pair of the sb1000s but its not high on the buying list (would need a bigger trailer). Four used sb1000z can be had for 8000. On my local Craigslist there's a guy selling 6 sb1000e for 4000.

Brandon Wright

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2012, 12:55:57 PM »

Hey guys,
Thanks for all your input. I agree with all of your thoughts on the sb1000, they are what I am most familiar with. The only problem is their footprint and height don't lend themselves well to one over one solutions in smaller rooms. This is why I was thinking the 528's. Essentially an sb1000 in a more useful shape. Same drivers, similar tuning, similar box volume. Although, I'm not sure if there is anything to be gained from the v configuration in the sb1000 other than fitting more drivers in a smaller frontal area?

Right now the TH115 is looking pretty attractive. If I can get four for around six grand, they will likely be the highest output solution given four channels of 2200 watts@4ohms. They offer a smaller footprint and "reasonable" stacking capabilities. They still look pretty good compared to the TH118 because most of its advantage seems to be in power handling. So for me to only gain roughly 2db in sensitivity at twice the price (used th115 vs new th118-haven't seen anyone yet willing to get rid of th118s) isn't really feasible.  Any more thoughts?

Brandon Wright

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2012, 12:54:08 AM »

After receiving some more up to date quotes, it seems that the cost differential is less than I had previously thought between the 115 an the 118, and both can be had for less than I had expected new.

So let me ask it this way. Would you spring for the extra 2db or so that a group of four th118s has over four th115s? I am a bit less concerned with the extra extension as they will both probably be high passed at 35hz in most situations. I suppose it would afford me another 3db-ish in output from the same subs if I upgrade amps sometime down the road.

Any subjective opinions out there about four th118s versus four th115s when driven with the same power?

Thanks,
Brandon

Rick Powell

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2012, 03:17:49 AM »

After receiving some more up to date quotes, it seems that the cost differential is less than I had previously thought between the 115 an the 118, and both can be had for less than I had expected new.

So let me ask it this way. Would you spring for the extra 2db or so that a group of four th118s has over four th115s? I am a bit less concerned with the extra extension as they will both probably be high passed at 35hz in most situations. I suppose it would afford me another 3db-ish in output from the same subs if I upgrade amps sometime down the road.

Any subjective opinions out there about four th118s versus four th115s when driven with the same power?

Thanks,
Brandon

If you are set on buying new I'd spring for the TH 118's.  I have a pair of 115's, haven't heard the 118's but they have got a lot of good reviews from people like Langston Holland who have compared them and run them side by side (do a search here and you should be able to find his shootout).  They are more efficient and take more juice, even if the lower extension is not a big deal to you.  I saw a pair of used 118's for sale for $2k apiece in Kentucky, the only used pair I have seen since they came out.  115's on the other hand are fairly available on the used market...you should have no problem buying them for $1.5k or less per cab.  My pair came under that price including shipping.

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2012, 03:44:47 AM »

I've never heard SB1000s sound good.  But, as they require ridiculous amounts of processing for a flat response, I doubt I've heard them with the correct processing.  Even so, why buy a box that has to be fixed so extensively?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2012, 03:44:47 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 23 queries.