ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: ProCo Snake  (Read 6414 times)

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
ProCo Snake
« on: November 29, 2012, 08:51:19 AM »

Today's Musicians Friend stupid deal of the day is a ProCo stageMaster 24x4 100ft snake for $299. Good deal?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid/?src=3TP2FRS

Tommy

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2

Jordan Wolf

Re: ProCo Snake
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 11:18:46 AM »

Today's Musicians Friend stupid deal of the day is a ProCo stageMaster 24x4 100ft snake for $299. Good deal?
Tommy,

It's not a bad deal, but I think that one should buy as long of a snake as is reasonable for the events that they do.  If you mix side-of-stage normally (doable, but certainly not ideal) and don't ever plan on being out in the audience area, a 100' snake should work fine.

I prefer at LEAST 150', but 200' is better - I like to have some slack in my cable, if you know what I mean.  When you're running the snake cable over doorways and get forced to move FOH to the back corner because the event planner doesn't like all that equipment blocking their guests' sight lines, you'll be thankful for that extra length.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 12:38:34 PM »

Buy 2 - at $600, you'd still be WAY ahead.  Only thing I did not like was 4 returns.  At the price, you could afford a custom drive snake.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 12:41:08 PM »

Ok, do you or anyone know how good the quality is for these snakes? My band currently has a 16x4 100ft snake and it's been plenty long for us so far. Our current problem has been not having enough channels, especially returns. Our board is a Mackie Onyx 1640 which had 16 mono channels and 6 pre/post auxs. With a 24x4 I can use adapters to convert some of the sends into returns to get enough returns. The snake we're using now isn't in very good shape and is being borrowed from a friend until we get our own. I've been planning on getting a 24x8 EWI snake but this one is almost half of what one of those cost. I just don't want to buy a crappy snake that won't last.

Tommy

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 12:56:42 PM »

Ok, do you or anyone know how good the quality is for these snakes? My band currently has a 16x4 100ft snake and it's been plenty long for us so far. Our current problem has been not having enough channels, especially returns. Our board is a Mackie Onyx 1640 which had 16 mono channels and 6 pre/post auxs. With a 24x4 I can use adapters to convert some of the sends into returns to get enough returns. The snake we're using now isn't in very good shape and is being borrowed from a friend until we get our own. I've been planning on getting a 24x8 EWI snake but this one is almost half of what one of those cost. I just don't want to buy a crappy snake that won't last.

Tommy

Tommy, the EWI snake from Audiopile.net appears to be much better in the build quality dept, has the number of returns you need, etc.  ProCo builds some nice stuff and some lesser quality goods.  The Stagemaster series is their "value" line.  I won't say "don't buy it" but would you buy it if it were at normal price, especially when compared to the EWI?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
Re: Re: ProCo Snake
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 02:26:31 PM »

Tommy, the EWI snake from Audiopile.net appears to be much better in the build quality dept, has the number of returns you need, etc.  ProCo builds some nice stuff and some lesser quality goods.  The Stagemaster series is their "value" line.  I won't say "don't buy it" but would you buy it if it were at normal price, especially when compared to the EWI?

Well the "normal" price for it is $569, given that an EWI snake with more channels is less than that($519 shipped to me) I would definitely go with the EWI. But at 299 the Pro Co is tempting. I'll be talking to some of the other band members later today about it.

Any more thoughts on it?

Tommy

Rick Powell

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 03:33:03 PM »

Well the "normal" price for it is $569, given that an EWI snake with more channels is less than that($519 shipped to me) I would definitely go with the EWI. But at 299 the Pro Co is tempting. I'll be talking to some of the other band members later today about it.

Any more thoughts on it?

Tommy

Had a stagemaster 16 x 4 at one time.  The wiring at the box end (inside the box) is not as robust as you will see on better models, and the cabling itself had some cheaper plastic sleeving at the fan end, but never any problems with light use.  Have an EWI 16 x 8 now and love it.

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 10:59:39 PM »

Had a stagemaster 16 x 4 at one time.  The wiring at the box end (inside the box) is not as robust as you will see on better models, and the cabling itself had some cheaper plastic sleeving at the fan end, but never any problems with light use.  Have an EWI 16 x 8 now and love it.

I have a third-hand Stagemaster 16*4 that works fine. I'd use it more often if it had more returns.
Mark McFarlane

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 02:25:32 AM »

Well we decided to hold off on getting one for now. We're planning to get a EWI snake(probably a reel snake) after we get the money saved up. We'll probably end up with a 24x8 or at least a 16x8.

For a portable rig is there any reason not to get a reel snake?

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 02:45:38 AM »

Well we decided to hold off on getting one for now. We're planning to get a EWI snake(probably a reel snake) after we get the money saved up. We'll probably end up with a 24x8 or at least a 16x8.

For a portable rig is there any reason not to get a reel snake?

The reels themselves take up more space than a properly sized box and the reel is harder to 'hide' on stage.  A normal 24*8 snake head is pretty easy to hide on stage.  Personally, I wish I had an ethernet-based snake.  Food for thought.
Mark McFarlane

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 02:45:38 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 25 queries.