ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Would I have problems using an Ipad 1st generation?  (Read 5999 times)

Ryan Tolzmann

Would I have problems using an Ipad 1st generation?
« on: November 29, 2012, 12:19:32 AM »

Hi guys,

I'm looking into getting an ipad for networking to consoles, but i cant afford a 3, or even really a 2 right now.

I have an offer for an Ipad 1st generation.  Would that be too slow or would I have any problems running the newer and updated apps they're coming out with for consoles these days?

Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Ryan Tolzmann
Freelance Audio Engineer

Mark McFarlane

Re: Would I have problems using an Ipad 1st generation?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 06:34:14 AM »

What specific sw do you want to run on the iPad?

Personally, I don't see a problem for some apps, I had a first-gen iPad that ran Studio Manager over VNC fine, other than the latency which was a network issue, not the fault of the iPad.

However, some of the newer apps may be more processor intensive, hence, which sw?
Mark McFarlane

Airton Pereira

• The Knutz
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 07:17:58 AM »

I use Yamaha Stagemix on a iPad 1 with no problems, but I can't even open the Soundcraft ViSi app, it crashes everytime. So, it depends on which app you want. Presonus, Allen & Heath and Behringer apps work normal.
Drummer and Sound Engineer for The Knutz.

Ryan Tolzmann

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 01:37:35 PM »

What specific sw do you want to run on the iPad?

Personally, I don't see a problem for some apps, I had a first-gen iPad that ran Studio Manager over VNC fine, other than the latency which was a network issue, not the fault of the iPad.

However, some of the newer apps may be more processor intensive, hence, which sw?

I would be using roland sw frequently, as well as the studio manager for the yamaha m7. 

hearing about the soundcraft apps crashing kind of bums me out.  I might also start working with a midas pro 6...
Ryan Tolzmann
Freelance Audio Engineer

Steve Milner

• DcSoundOp Audio Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 01:54:42 PM »

I would be using roland sw frequently, as well as the studio manager for the yamaha m7. 

hearing about the soundcraft apps crashing kind of bums me out.  I might also start working with a midas pro 6...

There has recently been some talk on the other forum about this issue as it applies to the newer Behringer offering. One could assume the same issues may prevail in the future for similar apps, although it would be interesting to hear from those who are using the Midas Pro series to see what their experience has been in comparison to those using the App for the x32.

Here is the quoted text from Jan DUWE of The Music Group.

Dear Bob,
Nick is accurate in his observations, the processing power of iPad 1 is in fact an issue, depending on the preferences chosen. That's why the app at its first launch deactivates mini-meters and mini-faders for iPad 1 by default. The performance on iPad 2 and New iPad is much better.

Another possibly limiting factor might be found in the wireless network infrastructure, as wifi routers occasionally may take a time-out, which is limiting the throughput in real-time data transmission. Our X32 network client operates in a way that all changes are fed back from the server inside the X32, and only then the corresponding controls on the iPad would be updated. This ensures 100% sync of multiple clients and their server -- XiControl will never show a parameter change that wasn't confirmed to be effective by the X32 console. When the wifi router takes a time-out and is being choked with metering data of 73 signals in addition to the controls on the respective page, updating the fader position or displaying the mute button status may have a lower priority and might be delayed slightly.

Best,
Jan

Jan DUWE
Assistant Manager, Conceptual Engineering
MUSIC Group Services EU GmbH

And the link to said discussion.

http://soundforums.net/junior-varsity/4393-x32-discussion-152.html#

Hope that's helpful...
    Steve

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 02:01:15 PM »

I have not had crashing problems with the Soundcraft ViSi app. In fact, It wasn't even crashing on me when I was running the beta. Do you know people who have had problems?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 02:03:00 PM by Samuel Rees »

Ryan Tolzmann

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 03:18:18 PM »

I have not had crashing problems with the Soundcraft ViSi app. In fact, It wasn't even crashing on me when I was running the beta. Do you know people who have had problems?

I dont know any one personally, but someone in this thread mentioned that it crashes for him..

Everyone I know has an Ipad 2 or 3..
Ryan Tolzmann
Freelance Audio Engineer

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 04:35:00 PM »

Sorry, I missed that! I only have an iPad 2, and have only used ViSi On it. Stagemix and Presonus worked fine on iPad 1 last time I used them, though it has been a bit.

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 07:52:31 PM »

Hi guys,

I'm looking into getting an ipad for networking to consoles, but i cant afford a 3, or even really a 2 right now.

I have an offer for an Ipad 1st generation.  Would that be too slow or would I have any problems running the newer and updated apps they're coming out with for consoles these days?

We've got 3 iPad 1st generation, and thay all run our limited software needs (RealVNC, sometimes Stagemix) with no problems. Our processing needs are small, but I love that the units connect to our 5GHz Access Point. They can be had in eBay lately for close to $250.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 08:02:39 AM »

Hi guys,

I am currently using an iPad 1 for networking Yamaha and Midas consoles and Presonus consoles via MacBook firewire interface.
Having recently done side by side comparisons to the iPad 2, I see no disadvantage to using the 1st gen pad.
Actually, I think the WiFi in the 1  is slightly better than the 2. No data to verify that  as yet.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 08:02:39 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.