ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RCF TTL55-A  (Read 7282 times)

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
RCF TTL55-A
« on: October 28, 2012, 11:33:47 AM »

Anyone out there have experience with these boxes.  Particularly with a small array of about 6-8 boxes per side?

Our business is growing considerably and now that the economy has pretty well turned it is time to invest to keep the growth going.  I almost bought an EV XLC-127DVX rig a couple years ago but decided to not blow the money as the economy was crashing down.  Now, as I look to the future, I think that I am really more interested in powered boxes.  The space and weight savings will make for a more cost efficient model.  The ability to power 6 of them off of a single Soco cable is appealing also.   I see the potential for a considerable weight and space savings which is very important as I am still bringing out a lot of subs for out EDM shows and it would be nice to have lot's of room in the trucks without being even close to GVW.  with my calculations, I would be able to carry 12 of the TTL55-As in the same space as four of my TCS2500s and the weight would be less than having all eight of my TCS2500s plus their amp racks in the truck.  Should save me about six feet of truck space.

Another very desirable aspect would be ground stacking.  RCF does not address ground stacking for the TTL55-A in the manual but does for the TTL33/TTL31

"A" list tech riders are not a big deal to me.  Competing well with rigs such as JBL4887s or EAW KF730s would be important.  Most of my events are festivals, fairs, and EDM concerts.   

Reading through the manual and spec sheet I can't really tell how efficient and easy the rigging is.

These look like they may be a good option for me to look at but want to see if anyone is using them and their experiences with them.

Then, do any of our Southern California members have them so that I could possibly come out and listen to them on a show?

Thanks a bunch, Ryan

Peter Morris

Re: RCF TTL55-A
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 10:44:30 PM »

Anyone out there have experience with these boxes.  Particularly with a small array of about 6-8 boxes per side?

Our business is growing considerably and now that the economy has pretty well turned it is time to invest to keep the growth going.  I almost bought an EV XLC-127DVX rig a couple years ago but decided to not blow the money as the economy was crashing down.  Now, as I look to the future, I think that I am really more interested in powered boxes.  The space and weight savings will make for a more cost efficient model.  The ability to power 6 of them off of a single Soco cable is appealing also.   I see the potential for a considerable weight and space savings which is very important as I am still bringing out a lot of subs for out EDM shows and it would be nice to have lot's of room in the trucks without being even close to GVW.  with my calculations, I would be able to carry 12 of the TTL55-As in the same space as four of my TCS2500s and the weight would be less than having all eight of my TCS2500s plus their amp racks in the truck.  Should save me about six feet of truck space.

Another very desirable aspect would be ground stacking.  RCF does not address ground stacking for the TTL55-A in the manual but does for the TTL33/TTL31

"A" list tech riders are not a big deal to me.  Competing well with rigs such as JBL4887s or EAW KF730s would be important.  Most of my events are festivals, fairs, and EDM concerts.   

Reading through the manual and spec sheet I can't really tell how efficient and easy the rigging is.

These look like they may be a good option for me to look at but want to see if anyone is using them and their experiences with them.

Then, do any of our Southern California members have them so that I could possibly come out and listen to them on a show?

Thanks a bunch, Ryan

Are you sure you need the TT55a  - its a MUCH more powerful box than things like EAW KF730. The little TT33a (despite the specifications) is louder than a KF730.

The TT55a is more like a D&B J series in application and output.

http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/rcf_tt_delivers_rocks_sweetwater_festival_in_atlanta/

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 02:49:15 AM »

Are you sure you need the TT55a  - its a MUCH more powerful box than things like EAW KF730. The little TT33a (despite the specifications) is louder than a KF730.

The TT55a is more like a D&B J series in application and output.

http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/rcf_tt_delivers_rocks_sweetwater_festival_in_atlanta/

I am absolutely sure I need boxes of that caliber.  Whether the RCF boxes are right for me, I am not sure, but I am definitely wanting very high output, great sounding boxes, preferably powered.  I mention the JBL and EAW boxes as that is what some of my competitors have in their inventory.  Some of the other competitors are using Geo S8 and Geo S12 boxes too and one is using an A-Line Acoustic rig.  I am really looking for something more in the line of the output of a KUDO rig but again, I want powered.  I also don't have the need for the variable asymetric horizontal coverage of a KUDO rig either. 

David Holland

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 12:33:46 AM »

I currently have a demo rig consisting of 16 - RCF TTL55-A Tops and 12 - RCF TTL56 Subs. I used the rig for the first time over the weekend providing racks and stacks for ZZ Top.  I mixed the local openers on the system and was impressed with very little eq needed, and the amount of headroom the rig had.

The system was very easy to setup and rig. The array software was fairly easy to use and was very accurate on room coverage. The RD Net software which controls the processor was easy to use and setup quick on my Windows XP based tablet. I could not get the cat 5 network to work and had to use a USB cable which meant the tablet had to live at the stage. My only complaint is the bumper is extremely heavy (which is the smaller of 2 frames available) and it only came with a single shackle connection to attach to the frame.

The tops have very good clarity and the subs (dual 21" with cardioid settings) have tons of power and are very impressive.

Eric D Hite

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 12:43:06 AM »

We Demo-ed a rig a while back and then bought one...We did an 8000 seat collesium with 10 a side and 16 subs for Ice Cube and baby Bash...Due to lack of a full house I turned off the top two boxes to cut down on extra reveberation fron the highs smacking that top row.previous week in the same building we did 7 hispanic bands..All sounded great all the way around the building (including the green room with the doors closed)  :) so TTL55a tops and 56a subs.. I always use rdnet..it rocks..The rider called for side fills of like kind with the monitorss so I set a 56 and two 55s a side for side fills and used the RCF's Sister company dB technoligies DVM12s and 15s and S10 18 sub for the dj and vocal monitors...Artists, promoter, manager and audience were all very happy... Easy mix and lots of fun moving that much air on the bottom..Bottom line tops get very loud on and are clear and musical, subs are musically loud and full and play nice and low. When I run them into limit its very taste full how the box limits itself and as hard as i have tried to push them they never bottom out or make any dying sounds...they just keep turning down and then come back when you decide to play nice agian.  I think the rigging is about as easy as it gets.  So far the shape designer software has either nailed the splay or been very close to what I needed and with rdnet running you can make major or minor tweaks to individual boxes or the entire array then monitor the amp status live as well.  I personally never clip the tops but a couple of other engineers have on our rig, that being said it was EXTREMELY bright and stupid loud.  I will refrain from stating the rest of my opinion of those guys.  I have done country, rap, various styles of mexican/hispanic and had nothing but compliments on the system.  We use the DiGiCo SD9 for FOH and the PM5D for monitors and so far it seems to be going well for us. I've done smaller rooms as well with low ceilings, for those we used 2 subs a side and 3 tops upside-down on the flybar set on the subs..I really didnt even need it all it was just for the height but head room is always fun.  The support from RCF has been very good as well.   Feel Free to email me if you have any questions.

Eric
Eric D. Hite
Engineer
Pantera Productions - TX
[email protected]

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 07:57:36 AM »

I just used a rig of 1 cabs a side with 2 3 cab cardioid subs a side in a medium theatre application.
The overall quality of the sound and the networking of the rig was quite impressive.
The in house audio engineer said that customer service from RCF was excellent.
I have known about RCF for years and have been curious about their array systems.
They are now in my top 10 list. :)
I don't care enough to be apathetic

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 07:57:36 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 25 queries.