ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: TTI NEW Spectrum analyzer PSA2702  (Read 20046 times)

Patrick Müller

Re: TTI NEW Spectrum analyzer PSA2702
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2013, 03:33:54 PM »

i tried listening to a radio microphone. The signal was in zero span mode very bad with a lot of hiss. Is this normal?
best regards
Patrick
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 09:38:13 AM by Patrick Müller »

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2013, 04:04:14 PM »

i tried listening to a radio microphone.

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2013, 05:34:31 PM »

i tried listening to a radio microphone. The signal was in zero span mode very bad with a lot of hiss. Is this normal?
best regards
Patrick

Wireless mics usually have proprietary compander schemes, where the audio signal is heavily compressed before transmitting, often with pre-emphasis that effectively boosts the high end.  When you receive the signal with hardware that doesn't expand and de-emphasize the signal, you'll hear tinny sounding audio.

The expansion threshold and ratio must be exactly as the manufacturer prescribes for normal operation.  Each mfg. uses slightly different schemes, with variations from model to model.  Sennheiser's 3000 series receivers allow you to switch compander schemes for compatibility with their different transmitter models, and Shure's UR series RX can change compander schemes for use with 900/1000 IEM TX in point-to-point mode.

It is highly unlikely that 3rd party measurement instruments will have RX companding capability of any kind, let alone the correct prescriptions for the multitude of pro audio TX's.  The listen function is generally useful to determine if there is severe interference occurring, and little more.  There are exceptions, though.  I've found that by adjusting a Signal Hound's software HF filter settings in its listen function, you can get acceptable sounding reception for monitoring Telex BTR series and other mono TX com systems.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 05:36:03 PM by Jason Glass »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2013, 05:34:31 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.