ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Is Atom netbook sufficient for running system design/control software?  (Read 6208 times)

Riley Casey

• Wash DC

Windoze XP installed in VMware Fusion on a 2011 MacBook Pro works like a champ for me.  Eight Gig of RAM is probably a help.  Talks to the Ashly & BSS processors via their serial port connections thru a USB to serial dongle.  Runs the LAC Vertec app,  the Digidesign Venue app, the Digico app etc.  I have a four year old IBM laptop running XP with 4 gig of Ram and the virtual machine is no slower or less capable than than that box for the audio applications I've put it to.  Have yet to find a Windoze only audio app that won't run in XP but then I'm not using networked power amps and the Yamaha boards we have are all Mac control friendly.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA

Hi everyone.

I'm a lucky and proud user of the best computer in the world - Macbook pro.
But, for some unknown reason some reactionist PA companies are still clinging to this oh-so-not-hip and dull thing called Windows.
I don't feel like buying a standard-size PC laptop to bring along with my mac, and running both at the same time, so the question is is the standard issue Atom-powered netbook sufficient for running Meyer, JBL or Nexo system design or control software with reasonable speed?

Will be grateful for any hints
K.

Pro Sound is not typical of the real world, and the real world runs on Windows and Linux.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas

Just got this in my email and thought I'd share in case you're interested in getting Parallels; they're offering Parallels and some other programs for $50(Parallels is $80 by itself).

https://stacksocial.com/sales/the-summer-2013-mac-bundle-ft-parallels-8?utm_source=twodollartues&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=summer2013macbundle

Krzysztof Podsiadło

Guys, you are all immensely helpful, thanks a lot.

Rasmus Rosenberg

Guys, you are all immensely helpful, thanks a lot.
ALso check out Parallels remote app function! works really well.
/R

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA

This type of application is where I find some of the new tablet/laptop hybrids interesting.  They suffer from similar fixed configuration and limited physical connectivity issues as tablets, but otherwise seem to offer decent laptop performance in a tablet package.  I just got a Surface Pro and am running full AutoCAD 2014 on it, with an 1.7GHz i5 processor and 4GB of RAM should be able to handle most audio design and analysis programs.

And yes, it is running Windows 8 Pro which may be an issue in some cases but it allows some programs to run in XP emulation and I have been pleased with how user bases have worked out getting some software to run in Windows 8.  Many software developers seem to not want to invest in addressing compatibility for older software versions if they can instead try to sell you a new version, but in some cases the user bases seem to have worked it out themselves and are willing to share that information.  Drivers are another issue, but those seem to be catching up for most recent hardware devices.  I am looking forward to Windows 8.1 and some, albeit modified, return of the Start button.

I'm also becoming a fan of the subscription approach to software that has routine version updates.  Having AutoCAD as a subscription will let me run the latest versions and avoid compatibility issues with clients and software for several years for less than it would have cost to purchase the upgrade that would otherwise have been required just for the Windows 8 compatible version.

Christian Güssmer

• www.guessmer.de

I have an atom tablet running dual boot win7 and linux, win7 for audio control, linux for everything else (internet, fun, ....)

I regularly run Meyersound Compass, XTA audiocore, Xilica Xconsole, LAnetwork manager on this weak machine and they work without any difference to a larger laptop. Even GrandMA onPC (V1) works easily.

MAPPonline uses Java and thus is really slow on that machine. I never tried LA Soundvision or MartinAudio Display - can't imagine they will work.

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Is Atom netbook sufficient for running system design/control software?
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2013, 01:27:10 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 25 queries.