ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha LS9 Admin Issue  (Read 19612 times)

Todd Birdsong

Yamaha LS9 Admin Issue
« on: November 28, 2012, 04:10:07 PM »

I am currently using a Yamaha LS932 which was installed by a professional AV vendor. They set up an admin account and kept the password. They have also lost the password and now the console is locked to a certain degree, such as not being able to change the input names and icons to not being able to install the latest firmware.
My question is this: I have a guest account and have saved my user settings for that account. If I reset the console's memory, will my guest account settings load all of the user data associated with the account, including channel assignments, output configurations, EQ, etc. or will I lose everything?
The AV company set up an entire system for the room and tuned it as well. Will all of those settings be lost, or are they also recorded in the guest profile?
Right now, the system works, but it can't be updated and the AV company is no help whatsoever.
Any thought/suggestions would be appreciated.

Scott Helmke

Re: Yamaha LS9 Admin Issue
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 06:07:15 PM »

You should be able to save your show file and then factory reset the console.  When you load up your show file after the reset I believe that you get the settings without needing the permissions.  You could certainly try this, since if the admin setting comes back with the show file you're just back where you are already.

Something else to try would be to connect up with Studio Manager and save the settings that way. 

David Simpson

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 08:28:20 PM »

Yes, the only way around a lost password is initializing the board. Save you show file on a USB drive and via Studio Manager (if possible for redundancy). Once you initialize, reload your save show file, and you should be good to go. Follow the steps below to initialize the board.

(1) While holding down the [SCENE MEMORY] key of the DISPLAY ACCESS section, turn on the power to the board. After the opening screen, the startup menu screen will appear.

(2) Move the cursor to the INITIALIZE ALL MEMORIES button in the MODE SELECT field, and press the [ENTER] key.The entire memory will be returned to their factory-set condition.

(3) Move the cursor to the INITIALIZE button located in the dialog box at the left side of the screen, and press the [ENTER] key. A dialog box will ask you to confirm the operation.

(4) Move the cursor to the OK button of the dialog box and press the [ENTER] key. Initialization will begin. Do not press any key until initialization has been completed.

(5) When initialization has been completed, move the cursor to the EXIT button and press the [ENTER] key. The console will start up in normal operating mode using the default factory settings

With the default factory settings the Administrator password is not in effect, and anyone can log in and perform all operations. You can now plug your USB drive in and load your show file. Or connect your computer to the board, fire up your saved show file in Studio Manager, and Sync from computer to hardware.

Hope this helps.

~Dave

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 12:25:21 AM »

Yes, the only way around a lost password is initializing the board. Save you show file on a USB drive and via Studio Manager (if possible for redundancy). Once you initialize, reload your save show file, and you should be good to go. Follow the steps below to initialize the board.

(1) While holding down the [SCENE MEMORY] key of the DISPLAY ACCESS section, turn on the power to the board. After the opening screen, the startup menu screen will appear.

(2) Move the cursor to the INITIALIZE ALL MEMORIES button in the MODE SELECT field, and press the [ENTER] key.The entire memory will be returned to their factory-set condition.

(3) Move the cursor to the INITIALIZE button located in the dialog box at the left side of the screen, and press the [ENTER] key. A dialog box will ask you to confirm the operation.

(4) Move the cursor to the OK button of the dialog box and press the [ENTER] key. Initialization will begin. Do not press any key until initialization has been completed.

(5) When initialization has been completed, move the cursor to the EXIT button and press the [ENTER] key. The console will start up in normal operating mode using the default factory settings

With the default factory settings the Administrator password is not in effect, and anyone can log in and perform all operations. You can now plug your USB drive in and load your show file. Or connect your computer to the board, fire up your saved show file in Studio Manager, and Sync from computer to hardware.

Hope this helps.

~Dave

Are all settings (routing, libraries, EQs etc.) but the admin password reloaded this way or is anything lost? Just curious.

Don’t you need to also recall scene 000 after initializing the board? I know with the M7 (unless they fixed it in a firmware upgrade) you had to recall 000 or the last settings were still there. But they may actually want those settings. Trying to clarify not confuse the subject.

If it was me I would also write down everything, all settings routing, EQ anything you can think of, in case anything is lost in the process.

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 01:55:33 AM »

I am currently using a Yamaha LS932 which was installed by a professional AV vendor. They set up an admin account and kept the password. They have also lost the password and now the console is locked to a certain degree, ...
The AV company set up an entire system for the room and tuned it as well. ...

IMO, a reputable AV company should be willing to come out and perform this reset & restore procedure for you without charge.  If system tunings are lost in the process they should retune the system without charge.  The password should be part of the deliverables for such a setup (I'm thinking the password should go on the signed invoice as protection for the AV company)...

Did you ask the AV company what their suggested resolution was?  Did they offer:  'I'm so sorry, we'll be out tomorrow free of charge'?  Did they admit they didn't deliver the password?  It never hurts to ask.

Finally, if they did 'system tunings' that are in the console, all I can imagine they did is perhaps add some EQ and output delay on the output channels (or route some outputs through an effects processor for additional  EQ,..) , which you can possibly save in an output patch/scene or write down on a piece of paper.  I don't know the LS-9 but there should be a fairly easy way to look for output delays and EQ unless the lock does more than prevent edits, it may prevent you from seeing those 'screens'.  Someone else can tell you where to look for this type of setting.

If it was me I would also write down everything, all settings routing, EQ anything you can think of, in case anything is lost in the process.
+1, go through the board screen by screen, assuming the lock doesn't hide screens...
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 02:04:02 AM by Mark McFarlane »
Mark McFarlane

David Simpson

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 10:26:19 AM »

Are all settings (routing, libraries, EQs etc.) but the admin password reloaded this way or is anything lost? Just curious.

Don’t you need to also recall scene 000 after initializing the board? I know with the M7 (unless they fixed it in a firmware upgrade) you had to recall 000 or the last settings were still there. But they may actually want those settings. Trying to clarify not confuse the subject.

When initializing, ALL settings are restored to factory, even settings related to a digital stage box (like the SB168's and related cards) if installed. You do not need to recall scene 000. I have never had to do that, so perhaps that was changed in a firmware update at some point. I just tried this on my board today to double check.

I agree, it never hurts to have a handwritten copy of all of your settings. It really is the ultimate back up plan.

~Dave

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 12:28:24 PM »

...professional AV vendor...

Nice, Apparently these people are morons. ( I keep loosing my tolerance for dumb dumbs in my older age.. )

Have you tired "Admin","LS9", "Yamaha", "Password",""1234", etc?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 01:03:21 PM »

IMO, a reputable AV company should be willing to come out and perform this reset & restore procedure for you without charge.  If system tunings are lost in the process they should retune the system without charge.  The password should be part of the deliverables for such a setup (I'm thinking the password should go on the signed invoice as protection for the AV company)...

Did you ask the AV company what their suggested resolution was?  Did they offer:  'I'm so sorry, we'll be out tomorrow free of charge'?  Did they admit they didn't deliver the password?  It never hurts to ask.

Finally, if they did 'system tunings' that are in the console, all I can imagine they did is perhaps add some EQ and output delay on the output channels (or route some outputs through an effects processor for additional  EQ,..) , which you can possibly save in an output patch/scene or write down on a piece of paper.  I don't know the LS-9 but there should be a fairly easy way to look for output delays and EQ unless the lock does more than prevent edits, it may prevent you from seeing those 'screens'.  Someone else can tell you where to look for this type of setting.
+1, go through the board screen by screen, assuming the lock doesn't hide screens...

Mark-

Thank you for reinforcing why I and other, "way smarter than me" installed system engineers think that using the console for system processing and alignment is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.  System processing belongs in a separate box and anyone who thinks differently should not be allowed to bid on, or execute an installed system.

/rant
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 01:56:18 PM »

Mark-

Thank you for reinforcing why I and other, "way smarter than me" installed system engineers think that using the console for system processing and alignment is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.  System processing belongs in a separate box and anyone who thinks differently should not be allowed to bid on, or execute an installed system.

/rant
I agree with you that as much as possible should be in the system DSP.

But if the system is sophisticated enough there can still be a lot that is in the digital console. The kind of things I am talking about are for example – delay on a group of mics that are farther up stage so they are better time aligned to the speakers that are already time aligned to down stage. Matrix settings that are feeding different inputs of the DSP that have a different ratio of the groups for the different matrixes.

There is a church that I have worked with that has 19 bi-amped EV house speakers in multiple delay rings that is feed by 4 Rane DSPs. The preacher likes to walk out in front of the main cluster. So with the SC48 we can feed his E6 (when he uses that) less into the center cluster then into the delays. I do the same kind of things in musical theater. I have the apron mics in the delay speakers but not in the front fill speakers and only a little bit in the main speakers. And so on with other inputs.   
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 12:28:19 AM by Kevin Maxwell »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 04:58:07 PM »

I agree with you that as much as possible should be in the system DSP.

But if the system is sophisticated enough there can still be a lot that is in the digital console. The kind of things I am talking about are for example – delay on a group of mics that are farther up stage so they are better time aligned to the speakers that are already time aligned to down stage. Matrix settings that are feeding different inputs of the DSP that have a different ratio of the groups for the different matrixes.

There is a church that I have worked with that has 19 bi-amped EV house speakers in multiple delay rings that is feed by 4 Rane DSPs. The preacher likes to walk out in front of the main cluster. So with the SC48 we can feed his E6 (when he uses that) less into the center cluster then into the delays. I do the same kind of things in musical theater. I have the apron mics in the delay speakers but not in the front fill speakers and only a little bit in the main speakers. And so one with other inputs.   

Hi Kevin-

I think we're in substantial agreement.  Your use of delay on groups for aligning SOURCES it spot on; the use of matrices for feeding the house DSP is cool; the use of multiple, controllable sends for the wandering pastor is valid... but none of those things are inherently SYSTEM concepts.  It's all about the source/input side and those things *do* belong in the console.

I gathered from the OP that his concern is about system-level issues and not operational or mixing concerns.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 04:58:07 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 23 queries.