ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 1 4 ohm amp 4 4 ohm speakers  (Read 9023 times)

Robert Hunt

Re: 1 4 ohm amp 4 4 ohm speakers
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 10:11:59 AM »

Yes, you could do as you suggest. 

You could also get Y-cords to deliver the same signal to both sides of the amp (for each amp) while running in stereo "non bridged" mode - I'd prefer running the amp in stereo mode rather than bridged myself, this way each side of both amps are delivering @ 4 ohms.
Thanks for your input. I just want to do whatever is best with the equipment I have to work with

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 03:31:23 PM »

There are 4 speakers that are currently running off one two channel amp. Two right speakers and two lefts. I do have the option of running  2, 2 channel amps or 4 channels total. But that brings up the problem of how do I get two left signals and two right signals from the console for each side of the amp. Both the amps I have can be run in bridged mode (8 ohms), so my thought was I could use one amp for both rights and one amp for both lefts running the speakers in series (8 ohms total also).
You haven't answered the question of why there are two rights and two lefts.  Two is often not better than 1.

Robert Hunt

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 03:45:02 PM »

You haven't answered the question of why there are two rights and two lefts.  Two is often not better than 1.
It is a relativley small room that is in an arch shape. Running on two speakers was not covering the room well at all. Some spots were very hot and some spots you could hardly hear.

duane massey

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 09:05:15 PM »

Do you mean an amp that is rated only down to 4 ohms?

Those used to be "the standard".  2 ohm standard is only a last decade and half type of thing.  Yeah there were older amps that could drive a lower impedance (DC300 for example), but they were rare and far between.

Some would drive a lower impedance-but with greatly reduced output.

For example a Peavey CS800   300 watt @8 ohm- 400 watts @ 4 ohm and 250 watts @ 2 ohm.

You could load them all the way down to 0 ohms and they would not break.

In fact the test for a repair was to short the outputs and drive the amp into full clip untill it overheated and shut down.  Then remove the short and if the amp still works-you did a good repair.  I did it many times.

Sorry, I couldn't find a sarcastic button, Ivan. A "4-ohm amp" ranks right up there with saying a speaker "pushes 300watts" with phrases I wish would disappear.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 09:05:15 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.