ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: SDC Mics for Choir/Orchestra  (Read 20303 times)

Craig Smith

Re: SDC Mics for Choir/Orchestra
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2012, 06:53:01 PM »

??? Not sure why you were going to PM a pic of the 3031. I have two of them. I know what they look like.
I think that was intended for me.

Craig Smith

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2012, 08:12:38 PM »

The ADK is a very decent mic.  You did well.
Thanks, good.  My wife wanted a Manley Gold Reference but that was not an option.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2012, 08:29:03 PM »

I have had good experiences with Kel microphones as a reasonable i cost condenser.
Jay Barracato

John Woodfield

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2012, 09:15:27 PM »

You can get SM94's on Amazon for 169.-

Craig Smith

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2012, 02:45:04 PM »

Not familiar with the SM94 or Kel.  Looks to me like Kel only makes large diaphragm though.

I think Dick's offer is the best value, but I'm actually looking at cheaper Chinese options now since I really need 4 and it adds up too fast.  (Things like AT2021, AKG Perception 170, Samson C02, MXL 603, CAD GXL 1200, and Behringers.)  Have to lower my expectations.  Or maybe I get two decent and two cheap.

Thanks everyone.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2012, 06:36:48 PM »

Not familiar with the SM94 or Kel.  Looks to me like Kel only makes large diaphragm though.

I think Dick's offer is the best value, but I'm actually looking at cheaper Chinese options now since I really need 4 and it adds up too fast.  (Things like AT2021, AKG Perception 170, Samson C02, MXL 603, CAD GXL 1200, and Behringers.)  Have to lower my expectations.  Or maybe I get two decent and two cheap.

Thanks everyone.

I also have a pair of immaculate SM94's in addition to the 3031's.  They're about the same price.  If you use your 137 and the three 3031's they should match up pretty well, though.  But the inexpensive Audiopile option is still the most economical........
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Don Spaulding

• Symphonic Sound
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2012, 09:27:20 PM »

Wow, I hadn't ever researched it but I didn't realize it wasn't very loved.  3.
You made a smart choice with the ADK. BTW - I trust the market over any one person's opinion. When there are 10-20 ebay auctions for the same mic at any given time, you know it's a not a wise investment. I always see people trying to get their money back on a neuman 103 or 184.
The MC012 also has the flexibility of multiple capsules. I have the 3 different patterns and change them constantly depending on situation. The build/quality could be better. I have had one die on me, but it was not expensive to replace. And one of my omni caps is on the brink, so I'll be ordering a new one soon.

Palmer Johnston

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2012, 04:08:10 PM »

I always see people trying to get their money back on a neuman 103 or 184.

:o

184s are my not so secret weapons, they are absolutely beautiful sounding on acoustics, strings, cymbals, pianos...to my ears at least...
Others in my little P.A.C. have agreed enthusiastically-
I've never heard anyone disparage this mic before...is this a common perception of them?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2012, 04:16:44 PM »

:o

184s are my not so secret weapons, they are absolutely beautiful sounding on acoustics, strings, cymbals, pianos...to my ears at least...
Others in my little P.A.C. have agreed enthusiastically-
I've never heard anyone disparage this mic before...is this a common perception of them?

They have a bit of a reputation for being a bit bright, especially when you start to get a tad off-axis.  I have tried to like them, buying matched sets three different times over a period of about five years.  I just keep returning them.

I characterize their "sound" rather harshly.  To me they sound "brassy".  The warmest I've heard have been the Oktava O12's, but with them I've had problems with floppy diaphragms and sold mine although I dearly loved the sound.  They just had too much of a tendency to have audible noise from the diaphragms. 

My SDC of choice at the moment is the Shure KSM 137.  Acceptable sound, nice pattern and very rugged.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Craig Smith

« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2012, 11:48:05 AM »

I ended up going cheap and getting some Samson C02s.  They work better (higher GBF) for theatrical stuff (which I do more than choir) because of their super-cardiod pattern.  And I got a great price.  I may get a pair of MXL 603s though as well and see how they compare to the KSM.  Thanks again for all your help.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2012, 11:48:05 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.