ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: SDC Mics for Choir/Orchestra  (Read 20085 times)

Craig Smith

SDC Mics for Choir/Orchestra
« on: November 28, 2012, 10:22:35 AM »

I need to buy some SDC mics for general area mics (choir, orchestra, small groups).  I have a KSM-137 that I've been very happy with, but I need these to be under $150 each.  I initially thought the AT Pro 37 would be an option, but I've heard it's a bit dark (frequency response drops off at the high end); then I heard the cheaper AT 2021 might be good, but then I saw other reviews that were negative.  Other options I've found are the AKG Perception 170 and C1000 and Rode M3.  At one point I had researched the C1000 and it didn't seem the best for these needs either, but everything is relative.  I prefer to stay with major brands but price is an important issue.

To reiterate, over $150 is not an option and large diaphragms are not an option (these need to be unobtrusive).  Thanks for your help!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 01:34:06 PM by Craig Smith »

Jordan Wolf

Re: SDC Mics for Choir/Orchestra
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 10:30:24 AM »

Craig,

You get what you pay for…

I prefer Crown CM700s for choir mics - I find them to have a very defined - and even -  pickup pattern.  But, you pay for that consistency.

If you usually have a very high GBF ratio, you are less constrained by your mics' patterns, but if you - like me - struggle with children's choirs and "singers" who don't project, you'll want precise pickup of sources and accurate nulls for feedback resistance.

How many people are we talking about?
What is the type of music they will be performing?
What typical venues do they perform in?
Backing tracks/A Cappella or Live Band, etc.?
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 11:20:13 AM »

I need to buy some SDC mics for general area mics (choir, orchestra, small groups).  I have a KSM-137 that I've been very happy with, but I need these to be under $150 each.  I initially thought the AT Pro 37 would be an option, but I've heard it's a bit dark (frequency response drops off at the high end; then I heard the cheaper AT 2021 is might be good, but then I saw other reviews that were negative.  Other options I've found are the AKG Perception 170 and C1000 and Rode M3.  At one point I had researched the C1000 and it didn't seem the best for these needs either, but everything is relative.  I prefer to stay with major brands but price is an important issue.

To reiterate, over $150 is not an option and large diaphragms are not an option (these need to be unobtrusive).  Thanks for your help!

Craig.....

I have three AT 3031's 

( http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/474528ca789f46f4/index.html )

that I've never used.  They can be yours if you want them.

DR
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 01:20:19 PM »

I need to buy some SDC mics for general area mics (choir, orchestra, small groups).  I have a KSM-137 that I've been very happy with, but I need these to be under $150 each.  I initially thought the AT Pro 37 would be an option, but I've heard it's a bit dark (frequency response drops off at the high end; then I heard the cheaper AT 2021 is might be good, but then I saw other reviews that were negative.  Other options I've found are the AKG Perception 170 and C1000 and Rode M3.  At one point I had researched the C1000 and it didn't seem the best for these needs either, but everything is relative.  I prefer to stay with major brands but price is an important issue.

First, finding bad reviews of ANYTHING is common on the InterWebs - especially on the low end of the price scale.  Have you found good reviews of these products, too?  Second, with your budget the AT Pro 37 is a decent choice.  They are a decent inexpensive SDC that I find myself using all the time on all sorts of sources - even though I've got a mic locker full of Neumanns and the like.  Of course, if Dick is letting those 3031's go for $150 per, that's an even better choice.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Darin Ulmer

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 01:34:19 PM »

Craig,
I have had great success with the C1000 for both adult and children's choir in church settings.  They are a bit big because of the battery compartment but the ability to change from cardioid to super-card as well as being able to alter the HF response has been useful.  (You do this by changeing a plastic cap inside the mic head)  Some people don't like the C1000 but I have found it very useful in this application, and it fits your budget.

Craig Smith

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 01:47:49 PM »

Thanks everyone.  Unfortunately often I am dealing with inexperienced people and don't usually have good GBF.  And it's usually in multi-purpose rooms with lousy acoustics.  When it's full choir and orchestra neither of those are an issue but that's a rare occasion.  Not much with live bands any more but sometimes piano or acoustic guitar.  I want something pretty universal.  I also have some AT 851 boundary mics that might work for some of this but I figured an SDC would be better.  Yeah, there are always negative reviews of everything, and if there are a lot of reviews I usually average things out but so far I haven't found too many or enough consistency for these.

I've heard good things about the 3031; I'll PM you Mr. Rees.  I'll look again at the others too.

Thanks!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 02:30:40 PM »

I need to buy some SDC mics for general area mics (choir, orchestra, small groups).  I have a KSM-137 that I've been very happy with, but I need these to be under $150 each.  I initially thought the AT Pro 37 would be an option, but I've heard it's a bit dark (frequency response drops off at the high end); then I heard the cheaper AT 2021 might be good, but then I saw other reviews that were negative.  Other options I've found are the AKG Perception 170 and C1000 and Rode M3.  At one point I had researched the C1000 and it didn't seem the best for these needs either, but everything is relative.  I prefer to stay with major brands but price is an important issue.

I'm one of the C1000 "haters" out there, but I think you should borrow or rent a couple and try them out.  My favorite SDC for choir and orchestra section pickup is the AKG C535.  More than your budget, but try out a couple (esp. if you can hear them with the C1000 - you'll understand why the 535s cost more).

We don't own any Pro37, but we've had performers bring their own on some acoustic and bluegrass festivals.  I would use them in place of my more expensive mics if I had a significant concern about handling or weather.  They did not sound "dark" to me as much as they lacked the open top end of the AT4041s I use for these events.  They also have a very different sound, off-axis, than the 4041s... but at 1/3 the price I can live with those things if the situation calls for it.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 02:45:12 PM »

I'm one of the C1000 "haters" out there, but I think you should borrow or rent a couple and try them out.

If you can't find any C1000's to borrow, just throw up a few SM58's for reference.  The C1000 sounds about 70% as good as the 58.............
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Craig Smith

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 09:11:51 PM »

Thanks for the additional info.  Good idea, I did rent a couple before I bought my others but forgot about that.  Getting old.

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 09:22:51 PM »

Craig, please give the Behringer C-2 a try.  I have several and IMO they are a great multipurpose SDC that will fit well within your budget.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 09:25:49 PM by Tim Perry »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 09:22:51 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 25 queries.