ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Code-compliant cabling  (Read 5172 times)

Kyle Malenfant

Code-compliant cabling
« on: November 28, 2012, 08:38:34 AM »

Good day,

I have been asked to install a few small, lightweight LED par cans in a local venue.  I have done this many times and in the past have been able to run the cabling outside of the walls, hidden behind beams, architectural elements etc.  This time the cabling (power and DMX) need to be run through the walls and ceiling.  I am not a licensed electrician, therefore the venue has offered to have their own in-house engineers/electricians do the snaking as long as I mount the fixtures and provide the cabling.

My question:  In NYC, are there codes that specify the type of cabling required to run through the walls?  My understanding is that there will be no conduit run here, as the distance from fixture to fixture is only a couple of feet.  Do the cables need to be fire-retardant or made or a specific material to be safe and up to code?  If so, what are some recommended manufacturers/links for the appropriate cabling.

Thanks!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Code-compliant cabling
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 12:27:00 PM »

Good day,

I have been asked to install a few small, lightweight LED par cans in a local venue.  I have done this many times and in the past have been able to run the cabling outside of the walls, hidden behind beams, architectural elements etc.  This time the cabling (power and DMX) need to be run through the walls and ceiling.  I am not a licensed electrician, therefore the venue has offered to have their own in-house engineers/electricians do the snaking as long as I mount the fixtures and provide the cabling.

My question:  In NYC, are there codes that specify the type of cabling required to run through the walls?  My understanding is that there will be no conduit run here, as the distance from fixture to fixture is only a couple of feet.  Do the cables need to be fire-retardant or made or a specific material to be safe and up to code?  If so, what are some recommended manufacturers/links for the appropriate cabling.

Thanks!
The obvious question is if the walls/ceiling are plenum or not.

But that is not the big question.  the BIG question is "How do you plan on getting the wires from the fixture INTO the wall? Just a hole?  Plenum plays BIG there.  Is the wall fire rated?

Different sets of circumstances have different sets of codes/rules. 

The FIRST step is to figure out which ones apply to YOUR PARTICULAR situation.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• COMSYSTEC
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 05:16:30 PM »

I am not a licensed electrician, therefore the venue has offered to have their own in-house engineers/electricians do the snaking as long as I mount the fixtures and provide the cabling.

NYC has one of the strictest codes in the nation as well as regulating who does electrical work. Not trying to be rude but it sounds like you know nothing about this kind of work. Since this is a place of assembly and NYC you can get in big trouble real quick if anything were to happen that even remotely looks like you were involved with it. Do you have insurance?

If the venue has offered to let their "engineers/electricians" handle the wiring let them. The thing that concerns me is if they are engineers/electricians they should know the proper wire to use and how the fixtures are to be mounted/supported.

If I were you I wouldn't want my name on this.

-Hal

Kyle Malenfant

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 06:55:47 PM »

The obvious question is if the walls/ceiling are plenum or not.

The answer is no, though I want to use plenum cabling to maintain a higher margin of safety. 

Recommendations?

Kyle Malenfant

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 06:58:51 PM »

Do you have insurance?

Yes

If the venue has offered to let their "engineers/electricians" handle the wiring let them. The thing that concerns me is if they are engineers/electricians they should know the proper wire to use and how the fixtures are to be mounted/supported.

That makes sense.  However, to keep myself well-informed, I'm looking for direction in cabling and standards.

Thanks

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 07:15:09 PM »

Yes

That makes sense.  However, to keep myself well-informed, I'm looking for direction in cabling and standards.

Thanks
So how are you planning on penetrating the wall/ceiling?  You can't just "poke a hole" and run the wire through it.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Kyle Malenfant

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 07:28:56 PM »

So how are you planning on penetrating the wall/ceiling?  You can't just "poke a hole" and run the wire through it.

That's a great question.  The client assumed that sense the fixtures have IEC in and out that we could just daisy-chain the system.  I understand that this method is wrong, in that using the portable cables that come with the fixtures are not meant to be run permanently through walls.  That being the case, I'm recommending that their house electrician drop a receptacle next to each fixture. Unless there is a better way to recommend?

For DMX, I was assuming that drilling a hole and fitting it with a grommet would suffice, though your comment seems to imply that would be the incorrect way to do it.  Either way, the house electrician will be running all cabling. 

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• COMSYSTEC
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 07:33:39 PM »

... I want to use plenum cabling to maintain a higher margin of safety. 

Recommendations?

Ok. Tell me if this is powered by a Class 1 or CL3 or CL2 power supply. What are we talking about in terms of current draw?

As for the control (DMX) what is the cable requirement normally?
-Hal
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 07:36:42 PM by Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC »

Kyle Malenfant

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 07:46:41 PM »

What are we talking about in terms of current draw?

As for the control (DMX) what is the cable requirement normally?
-Hal

Thanks Hal.  Each fixture pulls 37W, 0.5 A.  Concerning DMX, we use 3 pin XLR style connectors and twisted pair wire.

Kyle Malenfant

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 07:54:48 PM »

Hal, I saw your answers to my electrical questions in this thread:  http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,139517.msg1296656.html#msg1296656

So that takes care of power. 

Can I run DMX cabling (low voltage) through the walls or are there restrictions on that as well?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 07:54:48 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 25 queries.