ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A wireless how to?  (Read 2316 times)

Thomas Lamb

A wireless how to?
« on: November 28, 2012, 08:38:34 AM »

So recently we've had some situations were having a backup wireless link (dual body packs) on the speaker would have been helpful. I'm looking at the new ULXD stuff and it can be setup to automatically switch at the receive end to the sign with the best RF and output the audio from 1 ch. that's all pretty straightforward. However, I'm assuming that most people do this with 2 microphones also (2 lavs) we typically use headsets (dpa 40series) so any advice on possibly splitting one 4066 to two body packs? Is it possible? I split mics all the time but never quite like this.
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

Jordan Wolf

Re: A wireless how to?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 10:12:52 AM »

So recently we've had some situations were having a backup wireless link (dual body packs) on the speaker would have been helpful. I'm looking at the new ULXD stuff and it can be setup to automatically switch at the receive end to the sign with the best RF and output the audio from 1 ch. that's all pretty straightforward. However, I'm assuming that most people do this with 2 microphones also (2 lavs) we typically use headsets (dpa 40series) so any advice on possibly splitting one 4066 to two body packs? Is it possible? I split mics all the time but never quite like this.
My typical backup (a rarity nowadays) is to just use a lav on the second beltpack.  If you can get an omni headset to work, you can get a directional lav to work in the same situation (this is also assuming that simply because there IS a backup, you have the gear on-hand to deal with such changes in element type/placement).
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 12:51:03 PM »

Last RF failure I had was a bad cable at the entry to the beltpak.  I would second the suggestion of making your backup a lav on a second beltpak.  A cardiod would give you a closer shot at getting the gain that a headset provided.

Jens Palm Bacher

• Lydfabrikken
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 05:16:14 PM »

Don't do it. I see generally see more problems due to the cable/connector/mics than Rf hits and bodypack troubles.
Take a DPA 4061 and mount it to the 4066 boom just ahead of the ear with Hellerman sleeves or shrinkwrap.

Thomas Lamb

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 06:46:10 PM »

Don't do it. I see generally see more problems due to the cable/connector/mics than Rf hits and bodypack troubles.
Take a DPA 4061 and mount it to the 4066 boom just ahead of the ear with Hellerman sleeves or shrinkwrap.

I think I like that idea.
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 06:46:10 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 25 queries.