ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: in the round  (Read 2989 times)

darren mcmahon

in the round
« on: November 26, 2012, 05:57:51 AM »

So i am just curious to know whether anybody has been asked to do a corporate gig in the round with no flying available. I am just finishing a roadshow using this format (presenter on round stage in the middle & screens for content around the outside of the ring c.250-350 people cabaret style), it has worked ok.., I would be interested to know though if anybody else has dealt with this and how they did so, what were the results, what did you learn etc. etc.

John Penkala

Re: in the round
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 09:19:33 AM »

So i am just curious to know whether anybody has been asked to do a corporate gig in the round with no flying available. I am just finishing a roadshow using this format (presenter on round stage in the middle & screens for content around the outside of the ring c.250-350 people cabaret style), it has worked ok.., I would be interested to know though if anybody else has dealt with this and how they did so, what were the results, what did you learn etc. etc.

Darren,
          I have done shows in the round in arenas with 8k-20k in attendance. Of course, we flew everything. Since you have just finished this roadshow, maybe you could let us know what you used and how you got around the "no flying available" problem. If you are unable to fly, did you use speakers on sticks? Without flying speakers, how did you maintain clear sightlines for the audience?

JP

Adam Sykes

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 01:59:42 PM »

How high will the center stage be?

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 02:05:05 PM »

Most important question here is what is your throw distance from the stage lip to the last seat.  I've done a number of events where a short enough throw coupled with a good room allowed for coverage with small wedge VRX932 boxes at the base of each aisle.  These were situations without lavs, all handhelds and lectern mics.  For higher gain needs I would suggest an inverted distributed system - lots of ( as in 20 -30 ) very small speakers under the seats.  Subs can be around the perimeter for playback needs.  Works well for TV shows.

darren mcmahon

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 07:58:33 PM »

Well the situation wasn't ideal of course. The stage was 1 foot high, in the largest room the tables went 3 back and needless to say the client was understandably hot on cable management. I had input into the system based around what the hire company on this job could offer. However the key for me was to use discrete headsets a la dpa4066. We used e3's x 8 around the 10ft diameter stage (round the bottom of course - couldn't get away with them on stage) and larger d&b boxes around the outside of the room equidistant from the stage. I put 100% headsets into the stage ring and about -20db into the outer ring (delayed to stage ish) to fill out the edges but keep the focus toward the middle. I did the opposite for the VT and playback as there were screens around the outside, same ish for HH for Q&A. As I said it was just ok, needed a lot of concentration though. Luckily the presenters were good. I did have to insist on a decent bit of space to the front tables so the stage ring could breath. I tried setting up a backup lav but just couldn't get enough from it. Headsets all the way.

What did I learn ? mostly not to do it again if asked although it went OK. I certainly wouldn't recommend it and obviously wish we could have flown everything but it wasn't to be. Lighting it was hard as well but luckily I don't get involved in that sort of thing.

I did manage to make some use of the aisles Riley, but mostly just fired the wedges upwards as much as I could without risking the feedback to the headsets. It wasn't too scientific but everybody laughed at the right times, it's fair to say that most of the time my life is much easier.

Open to any suggestions, just in case (lord help us) they decide to do this again (eek!)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 07:58:33 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 25 queries.