ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommend me some tom mics.  (Read 25342 times)

Timo Beckman

• Rational Acoustics/Isemcon/Fulcrum Acoustic NL
    • Timo Beckman Geluid
Re: Recommend me some tom mics.
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2012, 05:26:01 AM »

For recording and live i've used next to the senheizer clip ons
4022 or 4099(sax clip on with a drum clip) . The 4099 is realy good for this so you might give it a try

James A. Griffin

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2012, 03:39:13 PM »

I'm looking to get some new clip-on tom mics and was just after some suggestions, so what are your favourite mics at the moment? I'll mainly be using them for louder rock/pop music but occasionally Jazz as well.

Also what are peoples opinion on the Sennheiser e604 vs. e904?? Worth the extra money?

Cheers!

After  using them almost exclusively for about 3 years, I'm very happy with my e904's...   Can't imagine a situation where they won't give me what I need.
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Kristo Kotkas

• Eventech
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2013, 07:33:17 PM »

I think sometimes we need to step back and step out of the comfort zone and remind ourselves what other tools we did use once and have forgotten about sounded like and/or force ourselves to check what new stuff might be out there.

One day I thought what a hell and set up a tracking setup with my Avid Profile and Pro Tools rig. I put up some mics I had at hand, put them around a floor tom, and then around a snare. I recorded a series of dynamic hits from very easy to as loud as I could hit. I also set up a hihat next to the snare to compare how much bleed each mic would give me.

The results were pretty amusing. Many mics could not handle the dynamics, failing to show difference between the loudest hits. It's easy to see that on the waveform. All mics sound different, that we know, but for me, the biggest difference turned out not to be the sound between mics, but the actual placement we use. The e604 I had with the original clamp, versus e604 that was put up on a stand and 5cm closer to the center of the floor tom had a HUGE difference in sound! So big, that I probably never will use a standard holder again with 604 :D

Overall, for me, Shure Beta 57 was a clear winner of the bunch I tested that day. And I don't remeber last time I had those on my kit. Sm57 was the worst on snare for me, pretty much the only mic I have used on snare for years... well...

I shared the test recording with my friends, and I have no problem sharing it with you guys if you are interested. The preamp gain was set at the same level for all the mics in each test, so you can also compare sensitivity. It was couple of months ago I did the test, so I don't remember all the mics I had up there, but file names should include mics names in use.

here is a pic of mics I tested on the snare and I think I see sm57, beta57, i5, D2, Oktava, Stagg *something* and two e604's

http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/6057_4552157048702_1858721139_n.jpg

On toms I had about the same mics + beta98, I think.

Here are the audio files, about 100mb download.

http://db.tt/6idSlKxX

EDIT:

I found the pics I did when tesing, I'll add them too. I completely forgot that I tested some kick mics too, like basic beta52, e602 and the Audix one.

Micing pics: http://db.tt/U3TmS62k
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 08:05:57 PM by Kristo Kotkas »

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2013, 07:51:09 PM »

the biggest difference turned out not to be the sound between mics, but the actual placement we use.

Yup.  Unfortunately, placement becomes problematic when dealing with your average stick-wielder.  Yes, you can get better sound with the mic in just the right place.  Will it allow the player to work within his "comfort zone"?  Will the mic survive the stick hits?
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Kristo Kotkas

• Eventech
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2013, 08:03:34 PM »

Yup.  Unfortunately, placement becomes problematic when dealing with your average stick-wielder.  Yes, you can get better sound with the mic in just the right place.  Will it allow the player to work within his "comfort zone"?  Will the mic survive the stick hits?

You are right, but now, looking at the pics I see the difference between e604 placement was even less than I remembered it being. I think the holder design of 604 could be better, it sits too much at the edge giving that timbale-like overtone sound that we need to go in and scoop out. If we would be able to have the mic just-a-bit more on the tom it would make a big difference. I see Audix has a pretty nice tom clamp if you buy a kit of mics, does it give a better control over where you can set the mic on a drum?

George Dougherty

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2013, 11:22:00 PM »

You are right, but now, looking at the pics I see the difference between e604 placement was even less than I remembered it being. I think the holder design of 604 could be better, it sits too much at the edge giving that timbale-like overtone sound that we need to go in and scoop out. If we would be able to have the mic just-a-bit more on the tom it would make a big difference. I see Audix has a pretty nice tom clamp if you buy a kit of mics, does it give a better control over where you can set the mic on a drum?

You can buy those clips individually as well without the kit.  The newer ones are better than the old style.  The giveaway is the grip to tighten the swivel.  Old ones are smooth and circular, new ones have big gear teeth for easy grip.  It's my favorite standard drum rim mount clip.  On toms I like the e904 positioned about 3" up off the head and aimed down toward the center.

Oh, and for snare mic position, I got my favorite from an old studio cat.  Unorthodox and all the drummers seem to want to "fix" it for me, but it goes out on the edge of the rim, almost touching.  The mic aims straight across the head with the capsule split in half (top/bottom) by the top edge of the rim.  Seems to capture a near perfect snare sound without many of the funky resonances and it nicely balances the volume between stick hits and cross sticking.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 11:25:12 PM by George Dougherty »

Earl F Young

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2013, 01:04:07 AM »

the only change i would make: a D3 on the bottom

Use the e905  That's my go to on top and any decent sdc on the under mic.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 06:12:13 PM by Earl F Young »

George Dougherty

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2013, 02:27:15 AM »

the only change i would make: a D3 on the bottom
What's the advantage of the D3?  Maybe I mix mine different, but I tend to HP my bottom mic higher and just accentuate the snare range to bring that sizzle into it. I haven't found that anything really special is necessary with that approach and the sdc presents a nice accurate picture of the top end.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2013, 08:32:58 AM »

Oh, and for snare mic position, I got my favorite from an old studio cat.  Unorthodox and all the drummers seem to want to "fix" it for me, but it goes out on the edge of the rim, almost touching.  The mic aims straight across the head with the capsule split in half (top/bottom) by the top edge of the rim.  Seems to capture a near perfect snare sound without many of the funky resonances and it nicely balances the volume between stick hits and cross sticking.
That's a great place for a mic, and it's fairly easy to balance the top/bottom sounds.  I get odd looks from drummers, too....

It's amazing what can be discovered if one puts in ear plugs and listens to the kit while the drummer plays....
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Henry Moreau

« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2013, 11:24:49 AM »

Usta use live Sennheiser 421, AT m25 or 35, Shure Beta 56a, Oktava MK219, CAD 179, Shure 57 and beta version. These are all dependent upon the artist and set up in the studio now a days but live use for a number of years now it's been the Sennheiser 604.
♫♪♫ ☼ LIVE FREE OR DIE ☼ ♫♪♫

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2013, 11:24:49 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 25 queries.