ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommend me some tom mics.  (Read 25333 times)

David Shriver

• Rockport Music
Re: Recommend me some tom mics.
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2012, 11:18:42 AM »

I've used the Sennheiser 604s and 904s, the MD421s, Audix and a variety of others.  My favorites are the DPA 4099s http://www.dpamicrophones.com/en/products.aspx?c=Item&category=118&item=24377 and the Shure Beta 98.  The DPAs are nicer than the Shures but I've gotten great results with both.

If you need something on a lower budget then I'd go with the Sennheiser 604. 

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2012, 04:48:19 AM »

904 for snare and racks - sounds good, mounts fast on hoops or mounting rings (but have something else in the drawer if a kit shows up that has wooden hoops).  D4 for floor.

Ryan McLeod

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2012, 08:27:56 AM »

904 for snare and racks - sounds good, mounts fast on hoops or mounting rings (but have something else in the drawer if a kit shows up that has wooden hoops).  D4 for floor.

+1

Roland Clarke

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2012, 02:20:05 PM »

D2's, D4's, Sennheiser 604's all great.  I love 421's, though you can't often get them on a kit these days as drummers mount their cymbals a lot close.  I had Beta 98's but sold them due to their fragile connector issues, not run with Beyer TG58's (like the old opus 88's) great condensor microphone, Sennheiser 904's a good alternative to 421's.  There are many other options out there, the TG 58's have a great mount system. You choose your poison and go with it!

Al Rubio, Jr

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2012, 07:11:05 PM »

We've gotten great results with our set of beyerdynamic Opus 88's on toms and snares.  Very clear and articulate with plenty of signal output!  What rare damage we've incurred (two occasions) came from sloppy, ham-handed drummers who slammed the mics repeatedly over the course of their set (not just the one or two stray stick hits).  In our experience, beyer's authorized service has always been thorough and fast!
Oh, and a big +1 on the integral mounting clamp!  The clamp itself is available for use with other mics... it's beyer model designation is the MKV87.
If we were using Audix or Sennheiser drum mics, we'd likely combine them with these handy-dandy little clamps!

George Dougherty

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2012, 01:53:29 AM »

e904 definitely worth the money. The 604 has a slight plastic hollow resonance compared to the D series and 904. I prefer a 904 up a little and aimed down at the drum head. The broader cardioid pattern seems to capture a better representation of the drum than the D series though it also has a little more kit bleed. Not a problem as long as you've got gates. As others noted, the durability of the 904 is nice and the 10yr no questions warranty is also nice. That said, I have 2 of 3 I need to send back due to a minor internal rattle they developed. I've been using the D series at the moment and moved them to conga duty till I get a chance to mail them in.  It wasn't a problem live but was noticeable on some stuff I tracked. Probably a bad batch since I bought two at one time for percussion and then a third when I wanted them for drums.

I've played with the DPA and other mini condensers and prefer the response of the 904 without eq over the others without eq.  If you have limited capabilities available, the 904 starts with a strong tom sound.  If you do, most anything with a full frequency range can work on toms as evidenced by the albums done with a kit full of 57's.

Henrik Vaaben

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2012, 04:22:57 AM »

+1
have something else in the drawer if a kit shows up that has wooden hoops).
but -1 on using 904 for snare - I have never been satisfied with neither 604 or 904 on snare. 2x SM57 for me (top/bottom)

Mark Long

• Dayton, OH
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2012, 09:04:53 AM »

+1 but -1 on using 904 for snare - I have never been satisfied with neither 604 or 904 on snare. 2x SM57 for me (top/bottom)
I don't have any 904s, but I have used 604 on snare with great results.

Ole Marius Holden

• OleM lyd
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2012, 02:31:31 PM »

I've used the Sennheiser 604s and 904s, the MD421s, Audix and a variety of others.  My favorites are the DPA 4099s http://www.dpamicrophones.com/en/products.aspx?c=Item&category=118&item=24377 and the Shure Beta 98.  The DPAs are nicer than the Shures but I've gotten great results with both.

I was worried for a moment that I was the only one that love the DPAs. Excellent mics, shame about the cable which feels a bit flimsy....

George Dougherty

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2012, 12:19:38 AM »

+1 but -1 on using 904 for snare - I have never been satisfied with neither 604 or 904 on snare. 2x SM57 for me (top/bottom)

Used the e905?  That's my go to on top and any decent sdc on the under mic.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2012, 12:19:38 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.