ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommend me some tom mics.  (Read 25302 times)

Mark Long

• Dayton, OH
Re: Recommend me some tom mics.
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 09:57:09 AM »

e604 is a "desert island" instrument mic. If that desert island has phantom power, the e904. Both are terrifically consistent and rugged and bargains in their categories.
Phantom power? I thought the e904 was dynamic as well.

Tom Burgess

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 11:38:51 AM »

Shure Beta98AMP gets my vote.  We used them at a clinic with Jim Riley and a set of Ludwig maples last year.  I thought they sounded fantastic.
If the band sounds great, it's because the band IS great, if the band sound like crap, it's the soundman's fault.

Opinions expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily those of the company for which I work.

Lee Brenkman

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 12:00:24 PM »

e604 is a "desert island" instrument mic. If that desert island has phantom power, the e904. Both are terrifically consistent and rugged and bargains in their categories.

Wondering why the desert island has to have phantom power.  :o  Both the e604 and e904 are dynamic microphones.

Liam Flaherty

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 02:38:53 PM »

Many thanks for all the suggestions guys!

I do like the Audix mics but I find them a little too big. From a rider-friendly point of view, I'm drawn towards the e904s and I like their rugged design over the e604s. I've heard good things about the Beyer Opus/TG D58 mics but I've rarely seen them in use. I'll do some listening and hopefully that'll convince me one way or the other...

Cheers!

Rick Earl

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 03:11:44 PM »

I have 904s and 604s, The 904 is more rugged and sounds a bit better in my opinion.  We shot out Audix D2, Shure Beta 56, Heil PR28 and the Sennheiser. They all were good sounding mics and worked, the Sennheiser was the most user friendly of the bunch, and we've been happy.   I will probably add some of the new Shure Beta98AMP next year, I am pleased with their performance too.  I've tried the Beyer Opus series and like them too, but I have had some issues with Beyer service.

On a side note, the show I am mixing tonight we are using 421s on the toms, the drummer wanted them but is complaining because he can't get his cymbals as tight as he wants them. He was the reason for the 904s.  Although the 421s are great and the tone of the drums carries through nicely, I am missing the punch I seem to get from the 904s,  we are getting ready to A?B them right now. 

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2012, 03:14:46 PM »

Ooops.

I will, however, take a good drummer w/604's vs. bad drummer w/904's every time.

Robert Weston

• Power is cheap, reputation is not.
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2012, 03:49:42 PM »

We use the Audix D series mics w/gates.

Kirby Yarbrough

• SR Forums
  • Reston, Virginia
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2012, 04:07:33 PM »

Shure Beta98AMP gets my vote.

And mine, with the A75M clamp.

mark lonow

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2012, 06:39:53 PM »

when i was shopin for new tom mics i was considring the audio technica  ae3000
not really a clip on but more has more uses

but i saved a few bucks and whent  with da 98amp 3pack deal for the size

less ur really budget tight id skip the 604 and get someting better then the average mic box
mics last a long time less there stolen
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 06:41:44 PM by mark lonow »

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2012, 10:47:58 AM »

I have the Audix D-series with Shure A56D clamps… I’d say they work well for 95% of the drum kits I come across.  I’ve had this set-up for the last 2-3 years, everything from the Bar band to National Acts and Wedding bands. 

I am looking at buying a 3 pack of the Shure Beta98AMP with A75M mounts this year for the Corp/Wedding band I work with.  The drummer’s tome have the full rim shock mounts and the A56D mounts don’t work and I can’t squeeze the e604 clamps on the rim as well.

We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2012, 10:47:58 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 20 queries.