ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shiping Backline - North America to Europe  (Read 4822 times)

Ryan McLeod

Shiping Backline - North America to Europe
« on: January 11, 2013, 10:52:12 PM »

International isn't my forte....Since I offer Backline rentals they asked my advice, trying to help them out.

I work with an act that's heading to Europe for 3 months for a Van Tour and insists on carrying their own  Backline - two guitar rigs, bass rig and a mondo drum kit, along with all the usual toys & spares. They've driven across Can/US a few times, but this time they start and finish in Ireland.

They have 60 days to figure out how to get their Backline there and how to get it back. Any advice I can pass on (other then 'rent' - I tried that already) would be appreciated!

« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 01:13:42 AM by Ryan McLeod »

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
Re: Shiping Backline - North America to Europe
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 08:29:18 AM »

International isn't my forte....Since I offer Backline rentals they asked my advice, trying to help them out.

I work with an act that's heading to Europe for 3 months for a Van Tour and insists on carrying their own  Backline - two guitar rigs, bass rig and a mondo drum kit, along with all the usual toys & spares. They've driven across Can/US a few times, but this time they start and finish in Ireland.

They have 60 days to figure out how to get their Backline there and how to get it back. Any advice I can pass on (other then 'rent' - I tried that already) would be appreciated!

Start with some place like Rock-It.  You'll need to fill out a carnet manifest, and they can help you with the bond.  For smaller instruments it's one thing to carry your own, but things like backline for a small van tour, it's likely MUCH easier to rent.  Not to mention the whole voltage/transformer issue with North American backline being used overseas.

gordonmcgregor

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 04:54:20 PM »

I'm sorry but I'm going to say rent it get's old very quickly messing with transformers etc plus unless you get one big trunk or crate for the drums you'll never see them all in the same place again. Bring instruments etc but it is very easy to hire stuff over here, though perhaps not as cheap as you would want, it's got to be cheaper and easier than shipping your own gear. Remember vehicles tend to be smaller in Europe as well so watch your size also towing trailers about can become a hassle above certain weights. G

Jason Raboin

• Klondike Sound
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 06:54:35 PM »

Rockit is great.  Expensive but worth it. 

Make sure you specify transformers that are wired for backline not for work sites.  Even from reputable companies I have been given transformers with 55 volts down two legs instead of 110 down 1 and 0 down the other.  (Is that the right terminology?)

If you want to cross your fingers and go more diy, maybe freightquote.com can help you out.
Jason Raboin
Partner
Klondike Sound

Christian Tepfer

• Klanggestaltung Blog (German)
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 07:13:29 PM »

Rockit is great.  Expensive but worth it. 

Make sure you specify transformers that are wired for backline not for work sites.  Even from reputable companies I have been given transformers with 55 volts down two legs instead of 110 down 1 and 0 down the other.  (Is that the right terminology?)

If you want to cross your fingers and go more diy, maybe freightquote.com can help you out.
One more thing regarding step down transformers. The crew (or someone) has to check the polarity every time. In many european countries (where there are Schuko outlets) we don't have specified life and neutral wires, there's a 50/50 chance of getting 110V on the earth wire. Some pieces of gear (and most guitar players) don't like this...
This problem doesn't exist when using isolating transformers of course.
Christian Tepfer
christian at amanya dot de

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 03:38:04 PM »

I'd share with them the costs of shipping (and the insurance on their gear), appropriate transformers vs. renting. Ensure that they have appropriate cases for everything (guitars, effects, amps) and that they are insured regardless.  If it's boutique and/or vintage backline, I'd also be concerned about that much travel and potential breakdowns - on the road in Europe may be a tough place to find parts for their own backline, whereas with rentals it is a service issue for the rental company.

Chris Johnson [UK]

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 04:50:51 PM »

I would just rent in Ireland, but if they insist, go for either Rock It Cargo, or Global Motion.

Make sure you carry your own transformers.

But seriously, the cost of shipping is going to be many times the cost of renting locally I would expect
Riedel Communications

Alex Fernie

• Alex Fernie Audio Ltd
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 09:29:23 AM »

I would just rent in Ireland, but if they insist, go for either Rock It Cargo, or Global Motion.

Make sure you carry your own transformers.

But seriously, the cost of shipping is going to be many times the cost of renting locally I would expect

It might be worth dropping Litton Lane Audio Hire an email. Dublin (Ireland) based backline rental. Good guys, we rent from them all the time. They'll be able to look after the 110v also for your pedal boards or anything else you need to carry.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 09:29:23 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 22 queries.