ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pleasantly surprised by iPad (3rd gen) video recording  (Read 5040 times)

Mark McFarlane

Pleasantly surprised by iPad (3rd gen) video recording
« on: November 25, 2012, 12:17:29 PM »

My wife recorded a couple songs at a gig I did last week using an iPad. It's a night concert. I was pleasantly surprised by the audio and video quality.  A nice, handy way to memorialize a gig.  Thought it was worth sharing, but probably old news for many of you.

If you have the bandwidth, watch the 720p version, but the smaller version looks closer to the raw footage.  The raw footage is better than the YouTube version, maybe I should have uploaded at 1024p.

video with raw audio: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBTrTd5jRBQ  (needs a bit of EQ, a tad harsh, I'll master it in the next few days)

different video with multi-track audio overdubbed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c0jza1rWKE  Actual live video starts about 30 seconds into the song so I created a short intro of stills.

On the third song my wife ran out of storage... so much for the 16GB iPad, next one's gonna be bigger. 

...and the wife was a big help setting up and tearing down, she's getting pretty good at cable duty and hanging mics.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 12:24:28 PM by Mark McFarlane »
Mark McFarlane

Bob Cap

• Classic LAB
Re: Pleasantly surprised by iPad (3rd gen) video recording
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 08:28:36 PM »

Mark,

Looked damn good to me. I've seem much worse.

Thanks, I'll have to try it.

Bob Cap
AAI
Gilbert, MN

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 06:44:01 AM »

Nice Mark!
What really nice is that its a windy night yet it doesn't have that "sound" to it. Keep them coming.
Douglas R. Allen

Chris Chambers

• Melbourne, Australia
    • MAD Productions
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 07:59:30 AM »

Didn't realise the camera was that good, nice job :)

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 09:32:06 AM »

Thanks Bob, Douglas, and Chris,

Its the first video we've shot with the 3rd gen iPad. My wife propped the iPad on her legs for stabilization. The first few seconds of each video are shaky as a result of pressing the virtual record button.

The iPad has its own built in stabilization, and I applied just a bit more (1 out of 5) in Final Cut Pro X. I couldn't apply very much in post because the post stabilization crops the image and my wife put the musicians heads at the top of the frame.

Lessons learned:
Start those recorders early
Leave plenty of space around the subject so you can apply stabilization.

Mark McFarlane

John Livings

• Los Angeles, California
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 11:09:47 PM »

Very nice Mark,

Again where did you pull the audio from on the below link?

different video with multi-track audio overdubbed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c0jza1rWKE  Actual live video starts about 30 seconds into the song so I created a short intro of stills.

Regards,  John

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 04:14:42 AM »

... where did you pull the audio from on the below link?

different video with multi-track audio overdubbed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c0jza1rWKE 

I recorded the gig to an Alesis HD24 recorder.  The audio in this second video is a mixdown of the individual instrument/vocal tracks from the HD24 using Cubase 6.  Then I replaced the original iPad audio recording with the Cubase mix. 

Edit: The HD24 mix pretty much sounds like the live event sounded.  I brought the PA and backline and was able to get the musicians to manage stage volume well. The only 'tricks' I did to the remix that weren't in the live gig was to add some hard-panned short plate reverbs to the violin and mandolin (a helpful suggestion PM'd to me from a fellow PSW'r) and I replaced the kick drum with a sampled kick.  The drummer brought a mini-travel drum kit and rather than spending 15 minutes making the acoustic kick sound good I just replaced it.

I should probably go back and mix in some of the iPad track to give it more of a live feel.  I always forget to hang audience/ambient mics.  I was hired to do live sound but the HD24 was in the rack and my wife shot some unplanned video,...

This was my second gig with my new RCF TT22A tops and they lived up to my original impression, they sound like a really nice stereo in someone's home, only much louder.

The audio in the first video posting is straight from the iPad mic, with ~6db of bass boost applied in post to partially compensate for the drastic falloff of the iPad mic.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 04:43:42 AM by Mark McFarlane »
Mark McFarlane

Neale Watson

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 09:25:33 AM »

This was my second gig with my new RCF TT22A tops and they lived up to my original impression, they sound like a really nice stereo in someone's home, only much louder.

Mark - what are you using under the RCF TT22A tops?

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 11:28:12 AM »

Mark - what are you using under the RCF TT22A tops?

For this gig I brought a single ART RCF 905AS, center clustered (OK, hard to make a cluster from one sub).  Plenty of sub outdoors for 100 people for this music.

There a searchable thread from 5 months ago on how I came to this decision, but basically I don't do a lot of sub-heavy shows and I am space and weight (self-imposed, middle-aged thing) constrained.
Mark McFarlane

John Livings

• Los Angeles, California
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 03:22:27 PM »

Thanks Mark,

Thats the sound quality I have been working toward for a few years now, It gives me something to shoot for.

Regards,  John

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 03:22:27 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.