ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice needed for choir/orchestra  (Read 6001 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Advice needed for choir/orchestra - delay needed?
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 12:19:37 AM »

Thanks everyone, exactly.  I plan to only reinforce the soloists in the front to balance the natural sound of the choir and orchestra (no delay), but reinforce everything in the back, with delay.  I'll have to learn how to use a click track. 

They did this performance several years ago and they only mic'd the soloists through the house system and the sound was not balanced in the back at all.  I didn't think about separate delay for the choir vs. orchestra but that makes sense.  I plan to use a stereo pair each for the choir and orchestra; hopefully that will give me enough flexibility.  I can't easily do more than that. 

And yes, my big concern is making sure I have the equipment I need to do this.  I wasn't sure if 50 ms would be enough to warrant delay.  With speech I think there could be intelligibility problems, but with music I'm not sure.  I am considering buying some new equipment and want to make sure it can do what I need.

Thanks.

This is one of the applications where a digital mixer with delay on each input and mixing bus or group can give a real advantage.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Craig Smith

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 12:26:12 AM »

This is one of the applications where a digital mixer with delay on each input and mixing bus or group can give a real advantage.
Exactly what I was thinking.

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 11:39:57 AM »

... I wasn't sure if 50 ms would be enough to warrant delay.  With speech I think there could be intelligibility problems, but with music I'm not sure...

50ms delay between two identical music sources is very noticeable (and very annoying) to me.
Mark McFarlane

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 11:46:21 AM »

50ms delay between two identical music sources is very noticeable (and very annoying) to me.
+1
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Craig Smith

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 06:04:47 PM »

Great, thanks, good to know!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 06:04:47 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 23 queries.