ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: is the "common soundman" an endangered species?  (Read 11766 times)

Justin Staszewski

Re: is the "common soundman" an endangered species?
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2012, 03:56:39 PM »

With all the recent innovations in the digital world coming so fast these days it makes me wonder if it is only a matter of time before some ipad app eliminates the need to hire a soundman altogether.
   Anyone else consider the possibility a virtual mix engineer will stomp us out?
   I almost miss all the knobs, racks and cables of "ye olde analogue"

You just hate having to use a Studiolive, Marc.  LOL.  Honestly, some of the more coddled bands wouldn't know what to do without a qualified "problem solver" on the payroll.  My main account would be lost without me.  In addition to engineering their live mix, I've had to do repairs on their equipment and design and program the ridiculously over the top light show they bought as well.  I'm not sure if they lack the skill set to purchase batteries or gaff tape at all.  Without a qualified crew, most bands are just a bunch of jamokes with guitars.  And this is coming from a guy who was a jamoke for years before getting into this side of the business.  One thing you can't replace is a tech with a competent set of ears and the ability to fix damn near anything on the fly.  Most run of the mill musicians can't seem to do much of anything by themselves.  Except turn up their own amps past the point of reason.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2012, 12:52:16 AM »

Now come up with a virtual replacement for the "common stagehand" and you might have a winner.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2012, 12:52:16 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.