ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie Questions:  (Read 1861 times)

Wayne Oberheide

Newbie Questions:
« on: December 01, 2012, 04:53:51 PM »

I have recently been asked to take over audio for a small community chhildrens theatre and am wondering where to start.  We currently have a 12 channel mixer board, 7 wireless headsets, a couple of hanging mics and several handheld mics.  I am wondering if it would be useful to have boundary mics for the edge of the stage or anything else that anyone out ther could recommend.

Wayne
Wayne Oberheide

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: Newbie Questions:
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 05:18:04 PM »

Wayne,
You need to use your real name here. If you look at the top of the page you'll see a tab labeled "Study hall". Start there, change your name to your real name, and report back in about a week.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 06:41:27 PM »

I have recently been asked to take over audio for a small community chhildrens theatre and am wondering where to start.  We currently have a 12 channel mixer board, 7 wireless headsets, a couple of hanging mics and several handheld mics.  I am wondering if it would be useful to have boundary mics for the edge of the stage or anything else that anyone out ther could recommend.

Wayne

Wayne, the question is pretty open ended...  perhaps just go ahead and work with what you have then ask about a specific problem. 

Answers to possible questions:  q. how do i get kids to project?  a. You can't, usually.

q. Why does the boundary mic sound hollow and tend to feed back?  a. see question one.

q. Why isn't the head worn mic working?  a. The actor has placed the switch in the off position.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 06:50:25 PM »

I have recently been asked to take over audio for a small community chhildrens theatre and am wondering where to start.

Why did they ask you?  What experience do you have that would be of assistance to them?

We currently have a 12 channel mixer board, 7 wireless headsets, a couple of hanging mics and several handheld mics.  I am wondering if it would be useful to have boundary mics for the edge of the stage or anything else that anyone out ther could recommend.

Wayne

You've got a twelve channel mixer (of unknown make and model >:() with at least 11 listed inputs and you wonder about adding boundary mics.  Simple math says no.  And as Tim pointed out, without voice projection, they're not going to give you anything usable anyhoo.  So the answer is a qualified "no".

Without knowing the room, stage dimensions, speakers and deployment (and a bunch of other stuff) it's going to be difficult to make any really useful suggestions other than "you'll need a s***load of EQ capability" for theater stuff.......and the knowledge of how to implement it.

Good luck.   
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 06:50:25 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.