ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: QSC PLX3602 driving subs.....not working well!!  (Read 15417 times)

Dave Batistig

QSC PLX3602 driving subs.....not working well!!
« on: November 18, 2012, 11:30:21 AM »

I have a problem with my 2 PLX3602 that I hope you all can shed some light on.

First the specifics:

Running four (4) Peavey QW 218 subs, powering 2 of these with bridged 3602's, the other two with bridged Peavey CS3000's.

Played a smaller room last night and only used 1 sub per side. Initially was running the subs of of the 2 PLX3602s and there was no low end. The kick drum sounded all "100-125" hz. No thump...sounded like pounding on a KFC bucket!!! Switched to the CS3000s and was rattling the walls with the subs!!!

The 3602s are in bridge mode, with the switches set to full range on the back...no need for the internal crossover, we cross these subs at either 125 or 140hz, depending on the room.

One of the 3602s is brand new...just bought it. They both are exhibiting this behavior!

Thoughts??

Thanks!!

Dave

Jonathan Betts

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/JLB-Sound-and-Production/156817657745906
Re: QSC PLX3602 driving subs.....not working well!!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 11:41:29 AM »

Try lowering the crossover point to 90Hz. What are you using for a crossover? Are your cables set up for bridge mode? Are you using any kind of limiting to protect your speakers?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 12:02:35 PM »

First the specifics:

Running four (4) Peavey QW 218 subs, powering 2 of these with bridged 3602's, the other two with bridged Peavey CS3000's.

Played a smaller room last night and only used 1 sub per side. Initially was running the subs of of the 2 PLX3602s and there was no low end. The kick drum sounded all "100-125" hz. No thump...sounded like pounding on a KFC bucket!!! Switched to the CS3000s and was rattling the walls with the subs!!!

The 3602s are in bridge mode, with the switches set to full range on the back...no need for the internal crossover, we cross these subs at either 125 or 140hz, depending on the room.

One of the 3602s is brand new...just bought it. They both are exhibiting this behavior!

Thoughts??

Thanks!!

Dave
Did you have channel 2 turned all the way down?  If channel 2 is turned up-it will do some "weird things" on QSC amps when in bridged mode.   
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 12:12:39 PM »

First the specifics:

Thoughts??

Thanks!!

Dave

Check your wiring. You should be coming off the binding post outputs, using the 2 red posts, with the hot conductor on ch1. It sounds like you may have plus and minus switched on one of the amps.

Also, use the sub crossover in the amps or lower the crossover point in your existing crossover. 80Hz-100Hz may be better than 125-140.

Mac

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 12:22:40 PM »

I think your real problem is you're running the amps at two ohms bridged, which they're neither rated for nor capable of.  Those QW218 cabs are 4ohms nominal, so two of them would present a 2ohm load to your amp.  Run it in stereo is the only way.

Jonathan Betts

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 12:29:48 PM »

I believe the op was running one cabinet per amp. IMO performance would be just as good running 2 cabinets in stereo.

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 12:36:47 PM »

I think your real problem is you're running the amps at two ohms bridged, which they're neither rated for nor capable of.  Those QW218 cabs are 4ohms nominal, so two of them would present a 2ohm load to your amp.  Run it in stereo is the only way.

There is one amp per speaker, and the 3602 is rated into 4Ω bridged. In the Peavey product literature the QW218 is listed as 8Ω.

I am not a fan of relying on bridged amps, in part because they require different speaker wiring, but in this case, if wired correctly they should work.

Mac

Conrad Muzoora

• Mbarara, Uganda. www.koolinvestments.co.ug
    • Kool Events Uganda
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 12:42:36 PM »

I have run QSC powerlight amps for a long while, later replaced them with qsc rmx amps on the subs. My impression is that powerlight will drive the subs fine, only if you can feed them with solid power, where as the old heavy iron with caps will work somewhat better on less than ideal power. If the power is solid, check your connections, something may be wrong there.

Conrad
www.kooleventug.com

Jonathan Betts

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 12:50:09 PM »

There is one amp per speaker, and the 3602 is rated into 4Ω bridged. In the Peavey product literature the QW218 is listed as 8Ω.

I am not a fan of relying on bridged amps, in part because they require different speaker wiring, but in this case, if wired correctly they should work.

Mac

The cabinet presents a 4 ohm load with both drivers running.

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 01:00:27 PM »

The cabinet presents a 4 ohm load with both drivers running.

Ah yes, I misread the spec. I missed the (each driver) in brackets. In either case the amp is rated into that impedance. The problem the OP described does not sound like the speaker impedance is the problem.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 01:00:27 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.