ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Seismic Audio Snake?  (Read 14155 times)

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
Seismic Audio Snake?
« on: November 15, 2012, 01:40:00 PM »

Has anyone had any experience with Seismic Audio Snakes? They are cheaper than most others that I've looked at. Here is a link to the one I am thinking about getting our band:

http://www.seismicaudiospeakers.com/24-Channel-Send-8-Return-XLR-TRS-Snake-Cable-p/sajt-24x8x100.htm#ReviewHeader

We have a 16 channel board right now but I'm thinking a 24ch snake makes more sense in the long run in case we get a larger board in the future. Our board now has 6 pre/post selectable auxs so we need 8 returns(probably won't use them all but we need more than 4).

Thanks in advance for the advise,
Tommy

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Seismic Audio Snake?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 01:50:31 PM »

Has anyone had any experience with Seismic Audio Snakes? They are cheaper than most others that I've looked at. Here is a link to the one I am thinking about getting our band:

http://www.seismicaudiospeakers.com/24-Channel-Send-8-Return-XLR-TRS-Snake-Cable-p/sajt-24x8x100.htm#ReviewHeader

We have a 16 channel board right now but I'm thinking a 24ch snake makes more sense in the long run in case we get a larger board in the future. Our board now has 6 pre/post selectable auxs so we need 8 returns(probably won't use them all but we need more than 4).

Thanks in advance for the advise,
Tommy

Save yourself the grief and get a good snake.  They're cheap for a reason.  For affordable, serviceable snakage, check out:

www.audiopile.net

I have one of their 24 ch, 150 foot reel snakes, several sub-snakes and a bunch of patch snakes from them.  I also have one Seismic POS......or should I say had.

The upside of investing in decent gear is that it will have value when you're done with it or upgrade.  The cheap stuff, not so much.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Brian Wilkinson

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 02:09:31 PM »

Save yourself the grief and get a good snake.  They're cheap for a reason.  For affordable, serviceable snakage, check out:

www.audiopile.net

I have one of their 24 ch, 150 foot reel snakes, several sub-snakes and a bunch of patch snakes from them.  I also have one Seismic POS......or should I say had.

The upside of investing in decent gear is that it will have value when you're done with it or upgrade.  The cheap stuff, not so much.

+1

Gary Weller

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 05:38:19 PM »

Or check with some local sound co. and see if you can find a good, well mantained used one.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Seismic Audio Snake?
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 07:45:04 PM »

I bought some Seismic Audio stuff once. Never again. Cheap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Robert Weston

• Power is cheap, reputation is not.
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 08:19:38 PM »

I tried out some seismic audio just to see what the negative-hype was all about... now I know! 

Buy quality gear...

Bill McIntosh

• Louisville KY
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 08:27:04 PM »

www.audiopile.net

+1 -- The Audio Pile snake is one thing I got right the first time.  It gets dragged, dumped, and generally roughly treated several times a month -- two years going now and no trouble.

+1 on their mic cables too.

And +1 on getting more channels than you think need, especially the returns.  If you run a DSP or crossover at FOH and want stereo you will use up 4 returns. Then separate monitor mixes for a 6 piece band...let's just say I didn't get that right the first time. 
You always have to do the right thing, but that's not enough. You have a job where people have to trust you. You have to LOOK like you're doing the right thing.

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 08:55:54 PM »

+1000 on what everyone else has said. The cheap snake might be suitable for an install where it never gets moved but for gigging regularly will break down guaranteed. Get a good one and if you get more channels than you need you can get some M-M and F-F XLR turnarounds to turn extra snake channels into additional returns.
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 01:10:10 AM »

Thanks for the advice, I'll be avoiding those snakes. We've got a 16x4 snake right now and it's not in very good shape and doesn't have enough channels. We are playing a gig tomorrow morning using 13-14 channels with a 6 member band. The main issue I have with our current snake is not enough returns(and no extra channels to make into returns). I has also thought of getting an 8x4 to complement our 16x4(and fixing it up). I'll probably be looking for a used one in good condition.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
Re: Re: Seismic Audio Snake?
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 01:19:28 AM »

www.audiopile.net

Another question, I just checked out that link and was impressed with those snakes and their prices. Is it worth the extra money to get the "neutrik xlr equipped" one vs the other one? There is a fairly significant price difference and I was wondering if you have used both kind. I know that neutrik makes some of the best connectors but I don't know if their worth that much extra money.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Re: Seismic Audio Snake?
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 01:19:28 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 25 queries.