ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Seismic Audio Snake?  (Read 14146 times)

Robert Weston

• Power is cheap, reputation is not.
Re: Re: Seismic Audio Snake?
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 07:23:40 AM »

Another question, I just checked out that link and was impressed with those snakes and their prices. Is it worth the extra money to get the "neutrik xlr equipped" one vs the other one? There is a fairly significant price difference and I was wondering if you have used both kind. I know that neutrik makes some of the best connectors but I don't know if their worth that much extra money.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2

I use both types between snakes and cables; never had any issues with the non-neutrik type.  Some people have said the non-neutrik don't fit as well (or securely) as the neutrik.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Seismic Audio Snake?
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 08:26:36 AM »

Thanks for the advice, I'll be avoiding those snakes. We've got a 16x4 snake right now and it's not in very good shape and doesn't have enough channels. We are playing a gig tomorrow morning using 13-14 channels with a 6 member band. The main issue I have with our current snake is not enough returns(and no extra channels to make into returns). I has also thought of getting an 8x4 to complement our 16x4(and fixing it up). I'll probably be looking for a used one in good condition.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2

I have a separate 8 channel fan to fan "drive snake" for returns to the stage.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
Re: Re: Seismic Audio Snake?
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 08:41:43 AM »

Another question, I just checked out that link and was impressed with those snakes and their prices. Is it worth the extra money to get the "neutrik xlr equipped" one vs the other one? There is a fairly significant price difference and I was wondering if you have used both kind. I know that neutrik makes some of the best connectors but I don't know if their worth that much extra money.

Their pricing is a bit puzzling to me too.  For a 12 channel snake, you pay a premium of about $66 dollars for the real deal Neutrik connectors, or about $2.75 per connector on average.  I can buy raw Neutrik connectors cheaper than that, and I can only imagine that OEMs can do even better.  What this implies to me is that the standard connectors must be practically free to the manufacturer (assuming the same cost of manufacture), which makes me wonder about their quality.

I've been a long time fan of the Neutrik connectors, and every generation has made significant improvements is reliability and usability.  Even though the pricing seems a bit wacky, I'd still take the Neutrik option for anything I was going to plug into and disconnect on a regular basis.

I did rebuild an insert snake for someone once that used imitation Neutrik TRS plugs.  Although they looked good, the threads were sloppy, the strain relief chuck ineffective, and 2 plugs out of 36 simply did not pass audio, even though the soldering (and my resoldering) was fine.  That split snake doesn't look quite like the Audiopile one pictured, so it may have been a Seismic or something similar.

GTD

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2012, 09:43:38 AM »

Like Dick, I have also gone to a separate return snake. You might also consider using two snakes (e.g. an 8 ch AND a 16 ch) if you ever have use for a small, med and large set up, in other words, making the snakes modular. At one point my small sound company had a variety: a couple of 16x8, 24x6, 24x8, 32x8 to fit a bunch of different scenarios. Might not be practical for use by just one band but it might be more economical (and easier to wrangle) to have a 16x4 AND a 16x8 than one 32x12 (also allows one box for upstage and one box for downstage)
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 09:49:09 AM »

FWIW, I recently had some rack panels made with Neutrik looking 'clones' (not by EWI).   The clones do not fit as well, in particular the female XLR chassis mounts don't always want to lock with my Neutrik connectors.  In retrospect, I should have found a different fabricator and stuck with Neutrik.  One guys experience / lesson.  Personally I'd pay the extra money.

I do have an EWI 8 channel XLR drum snake and have never had a problem with it, so the EWI connectors may be better than my rack panel.

I suspect the seemingly high price from EWI is because the Neutrik connectors are 'special order', not what they normally stock in the (I assume) overseas factory or in the shipping inventory.  If they went all-Neutrik then maybe the cost would only go up $1.50 a connector, which still adds up in $64 in a 24*8 snake.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 09:51:26 AM by Mark McFarlane »
Mark McFarlane

Norman_Jadczak

• Norman Jadczak
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2012, 11:05:18 AM »

Has anyone had any experience with Seismic Audio Snakes? They are cheaper than most others that I've looked at. Here is a link to the one I am thinking about getting our band:

http://www.seismicaudiospeakers.com/24-Channel-Send-8-Return-XLR-TRS-Snake-Cable-p/sajt-24x8x100.htm#ReviewHeader

We have a 16 channel board right now but I'm thinking a 24ch snake makes more sense in the long run in case we get a larger board in the future. Our board now has 6 pre/post selectable auxs so we need 8 returns(probably won't use them all but we need more than 4).

Thanks in advance for the advise,
Tommy

Bought a Seismic drop snake a couple of years ago.  It never left the house because I was afraid to use it because of it's poor quality.  Too ashamed to sell it to anyone else.
Buy Audiopile!

Don Spaulding

• Symphonic Sound
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2012, 06:49:11 PM »

Do some hunting on fleabay. I've seen some great deals on Whirlwind Medusa because lots of engineers are going to digital snakes.

W. Mark Hellinger

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 09:56:10 PM »

I suspect the seemingly high price from EWI is because the Neutrik connectors are 'special order', not what they normally stock in the (I assume) overseas factory or in the shipping inventory.  If they went all-Neutrik then maybe the cost would only go up $1.50 a connector, which still adds up in $64 in a 24*8 snake.
Mark... that's close.

The Neutrik connectors I specify on the EWI snakes equipped with Neutrik connectors are the Liechtenstein manufactured Neutrik connectors... which are manufactured in Liechtenstein.  Shipping those connectors first to the US, then to S. Korea where the EWI snakes are assembled, then shipping the finished product back to the US has a cost.  Also, the margins on Neutriks products can be slim over what end users can buy on-line... IOW: My price as a dealer/manufacture for Neutrik is seemingly not all that much different (if at-all) of what end users can sometimes (or possibly oftentimes) can source the same product on-line.  We offer the Neutrik connectors assembled on some of the EWI products for those who prefer that, at a price that recoups my cost to offer that option... simple as that.  It's not so-much a back figure thing since purchasing Neutrik in the US can be different than supplying Neutrik equipped assembled products via a 3 boarder crossing supply chain, which figures into the expense of offering that Leichtenstein produced product, shipped to the US, forwarded to S. Korea for assembly, then shipped back to the US as a finished product.  I've been working on a more efficient method for a couple of years, but... It remains that sourcing all the parts, pieces, hunks and chunks in the same country via the same manufacture that makes a product continues to prove to be much more cost effective than sourcing across 3 boarders back and forth.  I guess if you want French wine shipped to ? and loaded on a plane to be served wherever else, it cost more than the domestic stuff served from a box.

Guy Morris

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2012, 07:51:22 AM »

We all buy one budget snake that does not cut it!  My mistake now sits in a friend's old rehearsal barn slowly falling apart (it never got used on the road). The main problem is cheap construction and a twisting snake which will not coil well on storage and then fractures the cores quickly mine had a PVC outer jacket that had less strength than a bin liner!

As a snake is the main path of audio from the stage do not skimp, hums and buzzes waist valuable time and much less likely to be a problem on a pro end product. In the UK I found Van Damme (VDC) it was like discovering the holy grail of audio connectivity, upper cost level but how much is integrity and your sanity worth!

Has anyone had any experience with Seismic Audio Snakes? They are cheaper than most others that I've looked at. Here is a link to the one I am thinking about getting our band:

http://www.seismicaudiospeakers.com/24-Channel-Send-8-Return-XLR-TRS-Snake-Cable-p/sajt-24x8x100.htm#ReviewHeader

We have a 16 channel board right now but I'm thinking a 24ch snake makes more sense in the long run in case we get a larger board in the future. Our board now has 6 pre/post selectable auxs so we need 8 returns(probably won't use them all but we need more than 4).

Thanks in advance for the advise,
Tommy

Rick Powell

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2012, 08:43:29 AM »

Bought a 16 x 8 x 100' EWI snake off ebay for $225, barely used and one of the best investments I have made to date in the used market.  It was local too, had to drive maybe 50 miles to get it.  The connectors have been very reliable and well fitting - I like Neutrik a lot, but the EWI brand (that came with this particular snake) I have had no issues with so far.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2012, 08:43:29 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.