ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hard case for DL1608?  (Read 6197 times)

Daniel Lozada

• Gulf South Productions
Hard case for DL1608?
« on: November 14, 2012, 02:06:59 AM »

Anyone that already picked up a DL1608 have suggestions on hard cases for the unit?  I'm not a fan of soft cases on electronics that can get easily damaged.  Ideally I would like to be able to take the lid off and have the mixer ready to roll - maybe have enough room for the Airport Express router and the power brick?
Gulf South Productions
PA: RCF HDL50/HDL30/HDL26/SUB9006, Dynacord Cobra, Dynacord Xa2, Nexo Geo S12, RS18
Consoles: Midas Pro2, Pro1, M32, M32R
RF: Shure UHF-R, PSM900, Professional Wireless
Lighting: Chauvet Professional
Lighting Control: Hog, Avo, Martin
Staging: Stageline, Staging Dimensions
Video: Blackmagic Design, Kramer, Decimator

Mississippi, US

Chris Delcambre

Re: Hard case for DL1608?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 10:17:46 AM »

Anyone that already picked up a DL1608 have suggestions on hard cases for the unit?  I'm not a fan of soft cases on electronics that can get easily damaged.  Ideally I would like to be able to take the lid off and have the mixer ready to roll - maybe have enough room for the Airport Express router and the power brick?

They make a rackmount for the the DL1608...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/842239-REG/Mackie_DL1608_RACKMOUNT_KIT_RACKMOUNT_BRACKETS_FOR_DL1608.html

Get you a 10 space rack with a 2 or 4 space rack on top and you are set.
http://www.audiopile.net/products/Cases/CU_Series_Roadracks/CU-P/CU-P_series_cutsheet.shtml

Chris

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 11:34:14 AM »

They make a rackmount for the the DL1608...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/842239-REG/Mackie_DL1608_RACKMOUNT_KIT_RACKMOUNT_BRACKETS_FOR_DL1608.html

Get you a 10 space rack with a 2 or 4 space rack on top and you are set.
http://www.audiopile.net/products/Cases/CU_Series_Roadracks/CU-P/CU-P_series_cutsheet.shtml

Chris

A case like that offers no shock protection for the mixer.  The mixer bolts directly to the rack, so any impact on the case or vibrations are transfrerred to the mixer, especially when you're rolling it over uneven surfaces.  I prefer a case that incloses the mixer in foam.

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 03:55:24 PM »

A case like that offers no shock protection for the mixer.  The mixer bolts directly to the rack, so any impact on the case or vibrations are transfrerred to the mixer, especially when you're rolling it over uneven surfaces.  I prefer a case that incloses the mixer in foam.

Put some rubber behind the B&H rack mount, voila, shock absorbing.  Still need a case though, might fit an SKB pop-up case.  Not sure about ventilation on the DL1608...
Mark McFarlane

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 04:10:14 PM »

If you're not looking for a custom case and don't want the solution that Mark offered, just get a Pelican case with the pluck foam.  Looks like a 1550 or 1560 should fit.  If you want room for accessories and other gak, go bigger - even a 1600 or 1610 isn't that difficult to deal with.

Adam Wh3tham

• Grand Forks, ND
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 05:29:01 PM »

They make shock mounted slant top racks. Me I personally don't find it necessary.

My 01v96 has been living in a trailer and carried down stairs for the last 4 years with no issue.

For the market this mixer is aimed at, a non-shockmount case should be sufficient.
I practice safe excursion on the weekends

Daniel Lozada

• Gulf South Productions
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 08:34:12 PM »

Im trying to to avoid racking the unit with other equipment. All of my racks are modular - mostly SKB.  No case is so heavy that one man can't move/lift it easily. I've already heard some feedback regarding Pelican cases trapping too much heat below the 1608. I think I'm going to have to go with a custom ATA case - big enough to fit the mixer, Airport Express box, and allow the fan out from a small snake to stay attached.
Gulf South Productions
PA: RCF HDL50/HDL30/HDL26/SUB9006, Dynacord Cobra, Dynacord Xa2, Nexo Geo S12, RS18
Consoles: Midas Pro2, Pro1, M32, M32R
RF: Shure UHF-R, PSM900, Professional Wireless
Lighting: Chauvet Professional
Lighting Control: Hog, Avo, Martin
Staging: Stageline, Staging Dimensions
Video: Blackmagic Design, Kramer, Decimator

Mississippi, US

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 10:56:16 AM »

Im trying to to avoid racking the unit with other equipment. All of my racks are modular - mostly SKB.  No case is so heavy that one man can't move/lift it easily. I've already heard some feedback regarding Pelican cases trapping too much heat below the 1608. I think I'm going to have to go with a custom ATA case - big enough to fit the mixer, Airport Express box, and allow the fan out from a small snake to stay attached.

Not sure if this will fit the mixer, but ther eis room below for your AP and probably a Whirlwind mini snake

http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=&id=695&o=&offset=2&c=120&s=81

I've pretty much stuck with the 'old school' style plastic SKB cases and few from Gator and a few bags.  The nice wood cases sometimes weigh more than the gear inside and I mostly move myself.

Another option is this:  http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=&id=157&o=&offset=1&c=120&s=81# It looks like it would interlock with a standard SKB rack for a stable surface on, e.g. a 12u bottom rack.  NO room for a snake but maybe the Airport Express.  Use the B&H rack for the DL1608 and some rubber washers to shock mount it.

FWIW, the DL1608 will probably become popular and you may find some dedicated cases in another 6-12 months.
Mark McFarlane

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 10:56:16 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.