ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha speaker quality going down...?  (Read 9164 times)

Pete Bansen

Re: Yamaha speaker quality going down...?
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 01:02:31 PM »

I'm pretty sure the EV ZXA1 speakers are made in China.

My ZXA1's have printed on the cabinet and the shipping box that they were made in the US.

Pete

Randall Hyde

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 07:39:02 PM »

I agree.  With the first pair of JBL PRX618S-XLF that I purchased, one of them did not have the speaker wire connected.  That is the first failure I have had with JBL in over 25 years!

OTOH, I've had three out of four PRX 625 cabs die on me (the Crown amp, not the speakers) and two out of two PRX 635 cabs needed a gasket put on the horn (not designed in, only added as necessary after the fact) to prevent them from buzzing at 105-110Hz.

The PRX 635 cabs have worked fine since the gasket was added. I've used the PRX 625 cabs at an indoor show since they were fixed and they worked fine for that. I was going to buy some PRX 618s XLF cabs and PRX 615m wedges, but that purchase decision has been put off to see how well the 625 cabs hold up in a month long show I've got starting a week from Friday. If they hold up, I'll write it off as the luck of the draw (and JBL trying to hit a price point). I'm a huge JBL fan (my "A" rig is all SRX gear), but down at the MI level (e.g., PRX), I suspect one needs to be a little more careful.

FWIW, I was using the PRX 625 cabs outdoors (as delay stacks) when I blew them up. The PRX 615 cabs are very effective outdoors, to be perfectly honest, so I may have been pushing them a bit too far. OTOH, one would expect things like limiters to kick in before resistors burn up on the circuit board (which seems to be a problem with those Crown amps; I believe the same amp is used in the PRX 618s XLF, which is why I have a hold on buying those).  Yes, *lots* of people have told me how awesome the 618s XLF subs are, but I want to see the PRX 625 columns work before I make that decision.

I'm not ready to say that JBL's quality has gone down hill (even on the MI stuff) yet; but I own some JBL MI gear (Mpro stuff) that has served me very well for 8-10 years now and lots of Crown amps. I might have been an extremely rare situation and I'm willing to suggest that this might very well be the case, but problems with five out of six cabinets is not a good sign.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

duane massey

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 07:44:12 PM »

Several things:
I have had several products purchased from GC that were sold as new, but were obviously pre-opened and possibly even used. These were all online orders, not in-store purchases.

I just installed 2 Yamaha S115V speakers. One 15" had a loose magnet, but it didn't show up until after the install. Obviously warranty, but local warranty takes 3 weeks, and they had to have the whole cabinet, not just the woofer. I made arrangements to get the speaker fixed thru a friend, and installed a spare woofer for a few days.

I have yet to have ANY manufacturer have a 100% no-failure rate in the first 2-3 weeks. The really good guys don't quibble, they get it taken care of immediately (or they used to).
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Ryan McLeod

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 11:22:25 PM »

I was under the impression that all of the C and S series Yamaha speakers had been phased-out, an that more speakers were Not being produced.

I used to have several pairs in my rental fleet, and I believe that all were USA made.

Nicolas Poisson

• Paris, France
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 02:53:03 AM »

I guess there is some kind of tacit agreement on entry level products from renown manufacturers. The deal is: "dear customer, if we had performed full testing there would be 99% chance it works; Given that we lowered the QC there is only 95% chance it works. Costs are lower and you pay less. If you have any problem, please contact your local support".

So is a lot cheaper and slightly less reliable. More reliable products still exist, they are more expensive.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2012, 09:25:41 AM »

25 years ago Yamaha shipped components from Japan to the USA.  The woodwork was done in Georgia, IIRC, and the components stuffed inside at that factory.  No idea if that is still the case...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2012, 09:25:41 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.