ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crossover & amp advice........  (Read 2351 times)

Gregory Paul

Crossover & amp advice........
« on: November 15, 2012, 12:57:22 AM »

Advice for newbies please:
I have just bought a PV118 sub. The specs say it has some type of crossover in it, but, the Guitar Center guy said that I need to buy a crossover. Does this thing need a crossover? By the way the tops are Yamaha 15's with horn.
     I have a Crown k2 for the two subs, but need to know which amp or amps to buy for the Yamahas, plus which crossover to buy, if any to make it all work.
     HELP!
GREGO

Patrick Tracy

• SR Forums
  • Boulder, CO, USA
    • Boulder Sound Guy
Re: Crossover & amp advice........
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 01:35:32 AM »

The specifications sheet says there's a "lo-pass crossover network" but doesn't specify the frequency. I would bet it's a bit high in order to allow the user to set a lower one.  And a low-pass is only half a crossover so you would need to high-pass the tops at an appropriate frequency.

I would get an amp for the mains that had a variable high pass filter. Lots of amps have them. Use that on the tops set to something around 150Hz (guessing what the PV118 HPF frequency is). Later you can get a separate crossover or DSP and run the crossover around 100Hz.

Doug Maye

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 07:19:51 AM »

I have just bought a PV118 sub. The specs say it has some type of crossover in it, but, the Guitar Center guy said that I need to buy a crossover. Does this thing need a crossover? By the way the tops are Yamaha 15's with horn.
     I have a Crown k2 for the two subs, but need to know which amp or amps to buy for the Yamahas, plus which crossover to buy, if any to make it all work.
     HELP!
Not nearly enough info to get good advice. What model of Yamaha top? Also what series, especially the Peavey sub. That model has been made for years with different impedances and power handling abilities. Today many of the amps available have useable crossovers built in. Are you planning on running mono or stereo? Get the specs for both the tops and subs and post it so that people can give accurate advice.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 09:23:34 AM »

HELP!

Go to your profile and change your display name to your real first and last names or this thread will be locked or deleted by the moderator.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 09:23:34 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 23 queries.