ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Boomy Low End and Bass Guitars  (Read 17118 times)

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
Re: Boomy Low End and Bass Guitars
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 06:56:04 AM »

Parametric.  Sometimes a very narrow cut will solve the problem (especially on toms and bass).  Other times you need a wider bandwidth.  Getting the right center frequency is the first step - something that a graphic very seldom does.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 04:56:03 AM by Tim Padrick »

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 09:05:35 AM »

This is the classic Live Sound conundrum: What I would like to do v. what the room+system will allow me to do.

If you have taken care of the basics like drum gating and narrow band system filtering, the approach is typically to HPF the bass guitar. Struck bass notes should be perceivable, if not in their full spectrum.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 11:57:20 AM »

Ryan,

Although not a direct correlation to your OP, this thread has some great info on getting a good bass guitar sound to stand out in the mix - which may help out your situation with boomy rooms because you are less likely to excite those LF with the methods of EQ mentioned in the thread.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Dave Rickard

• SR Forums
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 10:51:28 AM »

Sometimes you have to throw out the "normal" way of doing things and try something different. Just last weekend I had the same problem. Way too much bottom but no solid sound there.
I went to my low cut filter on the bass guitar channel and dialed it up to 240hz. (My boards low cut filters look to be 18db per octave.)
During sound check I brought the bass guitar up in the mix so it was where it should be then slowly swept the filter down. I ended up with it set at 160hz.  ???  It did sound great and with the bass drum providing the "bottom" octaves the 2 blended well and the overall mix was solid.
I never would have thought this would be an ok fix but it did work for this room. The higher than normal low cut on the bass guitar channel gave bass drum room to stand on its own and not excite more room modes than were needed.

Douglas R. Allen

+1.  I run aux-fed subs, and on some gigs it's amazing how little Bass Guitar can be routed to the subs while maintaining good sound.  Do what works.
The wrong piece of gear at the right price, is still the wrong piece of gear.

Ryan O John

• ryanojohn.com
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 06:42:43 PM »

Basically on the rough days I did end up high passing more than I wanted to, and at least in the end we had some good clarity, and you could hear each note, but I did lose a bit of that girth I wanted to keep... It is what it is...

This is the classic Live Sound conundrum: What I would like to do v. what the room+system will allow me to do.

If you have taken care of the basics like drum gating and narrow band system filtering, the approach is typically to HPF the bass guitar. Struck bass notes should be perceivable, if not in their full spectrum.
Ryan John
Product Manager | Avid Live Sound

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 06:42:43 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 25 queries.