ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha Nuage  (Read 11284 times)

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
Yamaha Nuage
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 09:28:23 PM »

Definitely a shot across Avid's bow in the studio market, where Nuendo is seen as an alternative to Pro Tools. Avid has developed studio and live versions of their consoles; from a very casual glance this is aimed at studios and post pro environments.

As for their system name:  Nuage Advanced Production System - I'm sure the Japanese Yamaha reps didn't notice that the acronym will be NAPS...

Wish them luck as it should spur better products for all across brands.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Yamaha Nuage
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 10:43:50 PM »

The modular, network connected, hardware seems to be the way of the future from Yamaha. I hope they come out with hardware that makes it easier to spec distributed I/O in permanent installs, and in large scale special projects.

Mac

Yepper, and that was what I alluded to a couple of years ago while we were wondering what Yammy would do after it "EOL'd" the PM1D.

Bound by an NDA, all I can say is that we'll probably not see a product that looks anything like the renderings I was shown... but the underlying concepts are starting to be used.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Philip Roberts

• Church and H.O.W. Forums
  • South West MI
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 12:22:21 AM »

The modular, network connected, hardware seems to be the way of the future from Yamaha. I hope they come out with hardware that makes it easier to spec distributed I/O in permanent installs, and in large scale special projects.

+1,

A RIO box with some where between 3 and 6 MY card slots would be really nice. It wouldn't have to be MY cards but I'm not sure that there is "enough" market for Yamaha to have two card slots systems active.

I just hope the the price end's up reasonable.

Philip

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 02:24:53 AM »

In terms of control surfaces, Stephen Slate's new Raven is, on paper and demo, pretty amazing.  Designed for the studio.   Very few physical buttons, mostly a huge, multi-touch surface.  Dust and beer proof. 

Years in the future I can see this kind of virtual console being customizable by end users for live use, just design your own UI, or the vendor provides several.

Jump to around 2:00 in this video to get a feel for the surface.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HHiXqcyu2M

To get a good sense of what a multi-touch interface might feel like, you can download Mackie's Master Fader app for the iPad for free and run it without a DL1608.  It's pretty cool on a small iPad, then imagine what you could do on two 30" screens.

I wish Yamaha would come out with a mid-tier system that could use the many thousands of dollars of VST plug-ins I have accumulated over the years.
Mark McFarlane

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 10:30:46 AM »

After reading up more on this, it's pretty apparent where Yamaha is going: networking and modularity. I can see some design elements shared with the CL series.

I think looking at this, and then looking at the CL series, I can see something like a Yamaha version of Meyer's LCS/D-Mitri Cue Station and Cue Console.

I think Yamaha have done really well in the "networking and modularity" department.  When on the PM1D I find myself reminding myself how old the thing is.  The interconnections sure are old-fashioned and impractical, but when it's all set up an you're on the surface it still "feels" modern - and it sounds nice.

I'm absolutely certain that there will be more RIOs in the future, and feel absolutely sure the existing RIOs will work with future Yamaha releases:  Why else would they give the RIOs 96kHz sample rate capabilities while the CL desks are 48kHz?

I looked at those, they are all inputs and outputs in the same box. A Dante card frame that could take either input or output cards in any combination in blocks of 4 or 8 channels so you could have say 24x24, or 40x8, or 8x40 would be great. Even smaller 24 or 32 channel versions would be great, you could build your system out of modular block to whatever I/O you need.

Mac

Agreed, modular I/O configurations, down to let's say 4 or 8 channels, would be really nice.

Jason Raboin

• Klondike Sound
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2012, 10:53:44 AM »

None of the CL series consoles can replicate all the functionality of a PM5D, let alone a 1D.

What can a 5D do that a CL5 can't? 
Jason Raboin
Partner
Klondike Sound

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Yamaha PM5D
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2012, 11:02:19 AM »

Give you access to all 24 mix sends on a channel with a level indicator at the same time. A feature no other current console can do either.

Use those 24 encoders to easily set matrix mixes, or use the 8 matrix encoders in that section to easily set matrix mixes another way.

That is the feature that keeps the PM5D at the top of my request list.

Mac

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2012, 06:51:58 PM »

Assign output channels to DCA groups (hopefully that will be included in a software update), and it's much easier to assign channels to DCA and MUTE groups on the 5D than on the CL.
set fade times individually per channel on a per scene basis, with wait and post wait times associated per channels
and yes, the ability to just look at the console surface and get information like: EQ, dynamics, DCA and MUTE assigns, head amp gain, channel routing (press and hold the CH select button is awesome) without having to go to the screen
And there the ability to link Library settings to scene recalls (hopefully this will be a software update also)

Don't get me wrong, there's lots to like about the CL series, and I'm hopeful that the things that you can do on the 5D that you can't on the CL will make it into the next set of consoles in the CL line, with all the cool things in the CL line.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2012, 06:51:58 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 25 queries.