ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DMX Foot Controllers  (Read 9109 times)

Jamie Miller

DMX Foot Controllers
« on: November 09, 2012, 01:21:07 PM »

Hi guys,

Just starting to get into the world of LEDs after lugging around Par64 cans for the better part of 20 years :-[.  My question is, and I have searched the site to no avail, is....Do I have to have a brand specific controller according to the lights I have, or will any DMX controller work with LEDs?

Thanks!

Looking for something a little above introductory.  Will more than likely be running 2 sets of 4 in the back in 1 set of 4 in the front.  Typical bar band set up, so if you have any suggestions, that would be appreciated too.

Josef Ricketts

Re: DMX Foot Controllers
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 02:05:56 PM »

Hi guys,

Just starting to get into the world of LEDs after lugging around Par64 cans for the better part of 20 years :-[.  My question is, and I have searched the site to no avail, is....Do I have to have a brand specific controller according to the lights I have, or will any DMX controller work with LEDs?

Thanks!

Looking for something a little above introductory.  Will more than likely be running 2 sets of 4 in the back in 1 set of 4 in the front.  Typical bar band set up, so if you have any suggestions, that would be appreciated too.

Any DMX controller will work with any device, provided that it has enough channels. You can safely jump manufacturers!

Be careful about the new 'LED' DMX controllers--these are cheap but have EXTREMELY limited functionality and will need to be matched to fixtures simple enough for them.

The Chauvet Obey 70 is often suggested as a solid basic hardware controller.

duane massey

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 02:08:23 AM »

Just to be clear, any DMX controller will work with any DMX fixture. There are some LED fixtures out there that are not DMX. Sadly, any controller out there under $ 700 is very limited in functionality and ease of use. Watch eBay for a used ADJ/Elation Showdesigner or Showdesigner 1, typically available for $199-299.
As Josef suggested, avoid the controllers that are dedicated for LED wash fixtures, as they are seriously limited both in application and expandability.
Don't scrimp on the controller, and plan on investing some time in learning how to program your system. Pre-programming is essential.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Jamie Miller

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 10:30:44 AM »

Great info!  Thanks, guys!

Jamie Miller

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 09:58:42 PM »

Okay...checked out the models that you guys mentioned, and I'm still looking for a "foot controller"....LOL

Checked out ebay and came across a couple of options.  Wondering if anybody has any experience with them?

Elation FC 400

MBT SCX101

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 10:49:32 AM »

Okay...checked out the models that you guys mentioned, and I'm still looking for a "foot controller"....LOL

Checked out ebay and came across a couple of options.  Wondering if anybody has any experience with them?

Elation FC 400

MBT SCX101

Hi Jamie,
I modified an FCB1010 pedal, put the power supply in a project box with a programmable DMX controller made by LanBox in the Netherlands, and it's run our lighting for a number of years now.

Here's the link to the FCB1010 modification:
http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/cL2fUMokW2bqoNDHsXseZpFhAoEPBbTqiyjhviUkXA-j3oqRM5GQFRzDZWSY8FAI6865sqazQZCOppfUusSMgb_UKQk6u-qyx8BbBPI/Hardware%20Mods/FCB1010%20Radical%20Mod.pdf
You've got to be a member of the Yahoo FCB1010 Group to see it I think.

Here's a link to an old PSW thread where I had posted method and results - I think you might have to go looking as the urls are from the old forum:
http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,119100.msg1116418.html#msg1116418

And here's one more:
http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,124197.msg1167880.html#msg1167880

Send me a PM if you think I could be of any help with this.

Best regards,
Bob Charest

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 11:27:48 AM »

There is the Lightronics FC816 http://www.lightronics.com/consoles_fc816.html
but you would have to buy a LMX to DMX converter also.
Scott Hofmann

Kyle Clark

• Detroit, MI
    • 4 Star Music Academy
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 08:24:36 PM »

I'm loving my light controller (software) that I have hooked up to a simple non-latching footswitch.  The software controller is DMXIS by ENTTEC.  Its not introductory but user friendly and kicks butt. 

duane massey

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 10:46:59 PM »

Most DMX controllers have midi inputs, but most use midi note data. There are a few midi pedals that send midi note info. Sadly, no one makes a really good midi foot control system.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 10:46:59 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 23 queries.