ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Connecting to in-house systems  (Read 7388 times)

AllenDeneau

• Cookeville, TN / Nashville, TN
Re: Connecting to in-house systems
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 03:01:56 PM »

If you use an active DI, make sure it has a transformer.

I use whatever transformer the shop sent. Could be an IL-19, could be a Jensen.

Mac

Cool thanks. So you see any issue with using a passive DI? I've always, I think, used a passive DI with no issues but you never know...
Allen D.
Sound | DJ | Lighting

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Connecting to in-house systems
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 07:26:54 PM »

Use a passive DI. I use a Radial JDI.

It hasn't been said explicitly yet so here is...
Phantom power from another system into an output of a mixer MAY cause damage to your mixer!!

I found out the hard way (actually was easy for me) that the outs on my LS9 survived phantom. It did, however, make noise and not work well till I corrected the problem!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

AllenDeneau

• Cookeville, TN / Nashville, TN
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 08:20:36 PM »

Use a passive DI. I use a Radial JDI.

It hasn't been said explicitly yet so here is...
Phantom power from another system into an output of a mixer MAY cause damage to your mixer!!

I found out the hard way (actually was easy for me) that the outs on my LS9 survived phantom. It did, however, make noise and not work well till I corrected the problem!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Rob. Were you not using a DI prior to that? What did yo do to rectify the problem?
Allen D.
Sound | DJ | Lighting

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 09:15:59 PM »

I use a Shure M67 / M267 mixer for this application.
These are the nearly indestructible mixers of the audio world. Transformer out.  Line level in (selectable)

Also the whirlwind director. This has selectable attenuation but lacks the handy meter (and limiter) of the M267.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 09:19:46 PM »

Thanks Rob. Were you not using a DI prior to that? What did yo do to rectify the problem?

Doing an internet search for "IL19" might give you some hints.  A similar product is Rapco's ISO-BLOX.  The limiting factor for these types of transformers is signal level and amount of <100hz signal is present.  These small transformers have very little iron, so at high levels and with lots of LF, the core saturates.

Radial's Pro AV1 in "XLR" mode provides a true line-level transformer with ground lift if needed.  It will take a decent amount of LF, too.

I presume you'll drive the house rig from a matrix or AUX, and have independent control over the output level.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 09:19:46 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.