ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Connecting to in-house systems  (Read 7385 times)

AllenDeneau

• Cookeville, TN / Nashville, TN
Connecting to in-house systems
« on: November 08, 2012, 01:59:22 AM »

Hey all, just checking in to see what devices and how you prefer to send a signal from your mixer into an in-house system such as a mic input.

Seems I run into a number of places it's advantageous to utilize the in-house system for better meeting coverage or remote sound etc... Typically, I take a sub mix or aux out (line level) into a DI box with a -40dB pad and into the available jack, which is almost always a mic input. So far it's worked with good results but I'm wondering if there's a better way or better tools to accomplish this when all I have is a line level signal out and a mic level input...

Most typically I'm sending from a Peavey FX16 or a Soundcraft LX7 via the aux or sub group out...

Anything better?
Allen D.
Sound | DJ | Lighting

Nicolas Poisson

• Paris, France
Re: Connecting to in-house systems
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 02:56:12 AM »

It appears a good solution to me.
There are other ways to do it. For example, there are mixers that deliver a mic level at the output (such as the old Mackie VLZ). Or you could build yourself a -20dB or -30dB attenuator, which you can even make balanced: it only requires 3 resistors which will fit in the XLR plug. But I do not think this will be really better than a DI.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Connecting to in-house systems
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 10:18:18 AM »

The isolation from a DI might be important if the mic input has phantom power on it and your desk outputs are not robust enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 11:18:49 AM »

The isolation from a DI might be important if the mic input has phantom power on it and your desk outputs are not robust enough.
Yup, a big +1 to that.  My primary work is in hotels of all types, and this is always a concern.  So is adequate/properly-wired AC distro...
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

AllenDeneau

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 01:23:16 PM »

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Rob, I'm not sure I am following.. Are you saying using a DI is important for the isolation?

My Peavey, can't remember the soundcraft numbers right now, is a +22dB out on all sub and aux mixes, so I'd think I'm ok right?

To be honest, I never really even considered phantom power being applied on the in-house system, you learn things every day.. So if there is phantom power applied, is the only issue that I'd have to pad even more? I suppose I could have an issue at the desk too with the phantom power making it's way back to my output....

Sure wish more hotel/convention halls would also port a line in jack next to all mic inputs, would make life super easy...

Thanks all. Wasn't sure if there were any nifty little devides I'd not heard of before.. Doesn't sound as if there are huh?
Allen D.
Sound | DJ | Lighting

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 01:30:07 PM »

Rob, I'm not sure I am following.. Are you saying using a DI is important for the isolation?

Very often a house mic input will have phantom power enabled for something like a lectern mic.  When using a house mic input to interface with an existing system you want to consider (at least) two things:

1.  Inputting correct level (mic level)
2.  Blocking house phantom from being applied to your console out-feed

A good DI should do both for you, level and isolation.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

AllenDeneau

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 01:50:34 PM »

Very often a house mic input will have phantom power enabled for something like a lectern mic.  When using a house mic input to interface with an existing system you want to consider (at least) two things:

Thanks Dick, that is what I was thinking, I guess I did follow, LOL!

Now, is there a benefit of using an active or passive DI in the case of phantom power isolation?
Allen D.
Sound | DJ | Lighting

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 02:03:29 PM »

Real number 1: Electrical isolation from house system. Transformers are your friend.

Generally the inputs will be mic level, so a DI output is good, you may even need a pad as well.

I always use a transformer inline with a feed to a house system, level is dealt with as needed.

Mac

AllenDeneau

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 02:07:31 PM »

Real number 1: Electrical isolation from house system. Transformers are your friend.

Generally the inputs will be mic level, so a DI output is good, you may even need a pad as well.

I always use a transformer inline with a feed to a house system, level is dealt with as needed.

Mac

Mac, what transformer do you use? Do you use a passive or active DI? Any benefit?
Allen D.
Sound | DJ | Lighting

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 02:15:26 PM »

Mac, what transformer do you use? Do you use a passive or active DI? Any benefit?

If you use an active DI, make sure it has a transformer.

I use whatever transformer the shop sent. Could be an IL-19, could be a Jensen.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 02:15:26 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.