ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Lighting Effects - Spaceship take off  (Read 7131 times)

Mike Harper

Lighting Effects - Spaceship take off
« on: November 07, 2012, 11:48:34 AM »

I just got some info on our Children's Christmas play at church.  They are needing to create an effect of a spaceship taking off, I'm looking for suggestions on how to do it.  We have some standard Par 56 & Par 64 cans that we put gels on, we will also be renting some equipment.  Planning on renting a fog machine or hazer for this. What are your thoughts

Thanks
Mike
Tech Director                        Tech
Calvary Life Church                Output Unlimited
www.gocalvarylife.com           www.outputunlimited.com

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Lighting Effects - Spaceship take off
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 11:58:26 AM »

I just got some info on our Children's Christmas play at church.  They are needing to create an effect of a spaceship taking off, I'm looking for suggestions on how to do it.  We have some standard Par 56 & Par 64 cans that we put gels on, we will also be renting some equipment.  Planning on renting a fog machine or hazer for this. What are your thoughts

Thanks
Mike

For the "flames" you can uplight some mylar strips to simulate the column of rocket exhaust.   If you need to, you can add a small fan at the bottom of the assembly to set the strips wavering.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Sam Feine

• Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 12:27:04 PM »

If it is a UFO, you could arrange the par cans in a semicircle facing the audience and set up a chase so that it looks like the ship is spinning as it lifts off.
Electro-Acoustic Engineer at Community Professional Loudspeakers

Stuart Pendleton

• Colonial Yorktown, VA
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 02:04:08 PM »

Maybe this will give you some ideas. It looks like a rocket launch, but upside down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQXFyo28Ndc

Mike Harper

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 02:59:13 PM »

Thanks everyone for the help.

Maybe this will give you some ideas. It looks like a rocket launch, but upside down.

That looks like it would be perfect.  Can be mounted upside down, just need to remove the fluid jug.  Maybe adding a couple more lights if we need to.

thanks
Tech Director                        Tech
Calvary Life Church                Output Unlimited
www.gocalvarylife.com           www.outputunlimited.com

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 04:21:54 PM »

I just can't stop laughing at this guy!

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 04:48:13 PM »

Back in the day before everybody had moving lights, the show "Greater Tuna" had a UFO part. They mounted 3 par cans on a short pipe that had bearings on the end. Mount a sidearm to it for a lever and you have 3 pars that swing.

This contraption had 2 red gels for effect and one no color as the "spotlight".  The white light popped onto the "abductee" standing on stage. flashing red lights on either side. Then with sound effects and fog going, the lights swept out into the audience.

The whole thing was pretty convincing for being so lo-tech...
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Ted Christensen

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 09:31:09 AM »

Thanks
Mike

Depending on your budget rent a chauvet nimbus it similar for low lying fog for the exhaust plus a few par cans programed to look like fire twitching.
Danley SH46 / Th115 / EV ZX5 / EV QRX212H / QSC HPR / Lab Gruppen / Chauvet / Blizzard / Allen and heath ilive

Nick Pignetti

• Event Pro Live
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 01:41:49 PM »

This is depending on your budget, but if you have some cash to devote to this....

The way I would approach is would be to fire a pair of CO2 jets down on either side of the rocket. Red and orange lighting, perhaps a single strobe mixed in with the solid colors on pulse to give it some pop.

The CO2 jets will give you the movement you want in the "exhaust" rather than just the nimbus which won't give the lift off effect you want.

If  you REALLY have a bit of a budget, I'd do the nimbus as like a "pre-launch" effect and then fire the CO2 jets just after for the actual launch- will build excitement and more closely mimic a rocket launch.

James Feenstra

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 06:11:59 PM »

I'd also suggest CO2 jets with some kind of lighting (led if you want some kind of coloration)...simple, easy, and doesn't require a license to fire and will give you exactly the effect you're looking for (as far as downward thrust)

they can also be mounted in any direction
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 06:11:59 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.