ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Custom QSC KLA Angle Bump........the days of building custom are back.  (Read 28026 times)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Custom QSC KLA Angle Bump........the days of building custom are back.
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 09:41:27 PM »

Mac,

The handles seem to be an integral part of the enclosure, compared to a screwed-on/bolted-on additional piece of hardware.  Other than potential tampering with the hooks (which are under tension anyway), what is your concern?

Would you fly the speakers from those handles? If not, I wouldn't use them as support.

Mac

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 10:07:18 PM »

Would you fly the speakers from those handles? If not, I wouldn't use them as support.

Mac
And by that logic I wouldn't use those straps to fly the speakers…Spansets and shackles could be an option, I guess - that seems a little clunky to me, though.

I haven't used those loudspeakers myself, but a read-through of the user guide shows that they use a sort of coffin lock for interlocking the cabinets.  Maybe Steve can integrate those into his his design and use them instead of ratchet straps?  Or he could possibly use the integrated threads…

Thoughts?

EDIT: It seems like Steve already thought of that…
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 10:10:46 PM by Jordan Wolf »
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Steven Barnes

• SBTS Inc.
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 11:32:03 PM »

Pretty neat setup, but I'd rather see that strap wrap around under the subs rather than hook into the handle.

Mac

That was me just being lazy at the shop this morning, as you can see in the pics there is plenty of left over strap length on the ground, I purchased these straps long enough to be able to completely wrap a block of 4 subs either 4 high or 2x2. There will also be 2 straps (one front and one back) per stack.

Also: To play devils advocate, the handles are actually milled into these boxes as part of the enclosure and not an additional piece of hardware bolted to the side of the enclosure.

These will definitely be completely strapped as a solid loop in the field when they are used.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 11:38:50 PM by Steven Barnes »
Audio Engineering, Design, Consulting
SBTS Inc.
www.sbts-inc.com

Chris LaRocque

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2012, 11:55:44 AM »

I really like this idea.  Anyway you can get a pic of 3 boxes on top?

I'd like to see how the angles work out, see if it is possible to work the boxes so the top is horizontal to floor.

Steven Barnes

• SBTS Inc.
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2012, 01:26:02 PM »

I really like this idea.  Anyway you can get a pic of 3 boxes on top?

I'd like to see how the angles work out, see if it is possible to work the boxes so the top is horizontal to floor.

I will not be at the shop again until monday, but I will see if I can get some pictures with 3 boxes setup.

The KLA boxes are roughly an 18* box, so 3 boxes would be 54*. The angle bump only goes to 45* the way I have it designed. If the math is correct the top box should be sitting about 9* above horizontal, but would still be plenty usable if you needed the extra horse power. You would have to shade the bottom box or get the rig pretty high up in the air to not kill people up front.
SBTS Inc.
www.sbts-inc.com

Steven Barnes

• SBTS Inc.
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2012, 01:34:06 PM »

I have had quite a few requests for some pictures of a single KLA and 3 KLA's stacked.

Any other request when I have the time to set this up again?

SBTS Inc.
www.sbts-inc.com

Steven Barnes

• SBTS Inc.
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2012, 06:27:29 PM »

Here are a couple more pictures with 3 and 4 boxes stacked. The bottom of the bracket is definitely going to need to be extended another 6" or so to help center the weight as Matt suggested earlier in this thread.

Another issue is going to be the stability of the PA stack, by the time you get 3 tops on 3 subs, you are getting pretty tall with a rather small footprint.

I believe I have enough metal to build one more prototype with the longer base, now I just need to find a bit of time to get another built.

3 Boxes, Angle of the top of the top box is 10*

4 Boxes, The only situation I could see this being useful would be a very small outdoor stadium section covering bleachers. We used to do something like this for graduations, but with bigger boxes.

SBTS Inc.
www.sbts-inc.com

Andrew Henderson

• Lab Lounge
    • http://www.getlostinsound.com

Here are a couple more pictures with 3 and 4 boxes stacked...

I just stumbled across this thread. Nice design! We own some KLA boxes too, and I could definitely see myself using that setup, at least for 2-tops-per-side events. It's been a while since you posted this; have you used them in the field? Have you made any modifications to the design?

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2015, 07:34:18 AM »

need to be extended another 6" or so to help center the weight as Matt suggested earlier in this thread.
By the look of it, more like 10-12".
Great idea!
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2015, 12:43:01 PM »

Hi Steven
were you able to develop something like this for Jbl Vrx
Would like to buy
Please help

Read the rules, fix your display name.

Thank you for your cooperation. 
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2015, 12:43:01 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 22 queries.