ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Custom QSC KLA Angle Bump........the days of building custom are back.  (Read 28028 times)

Steven Barnes

• SBTS Inc.

I do not hang out much in the Lab Lounge, but I thought this topic would be more appropriate and useful over here.

We have been using QSC KLA stuff for the last year or so with great success, but we keep running into situations that we cannot fly the PA and it must be set up on a stage as there is no room off SL or SR on the ground. Coming from the world of L-Acoustics, D&B, Etc. I was used to being able to angle bumpers and such as needed, but not with these boxes. If you stack the boxes on top of subs they were useless as the second box would be firing over the audience unless you were trying to cover a balcony.

Anyways I came up with this idea a little while back and finally had some time this week to start playing around with stuff and get a working prototype going. They are adjustable from 5*-45* and are rated for 3 boxes with a 9:1 Safety Rating. We are going to be testing them out over the next couple weeks.

Before anyone says it, these are only going to be used for ground stacking tops on subs, and will not be used when the rig is flown.

I am also working on a couple more of these for use with JBL VRX Series.

Audio Engineering, Design, Consulting
SBTS Inc.
www.sbts-inc.com

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
Re: Custom QSC KLA Angle Bump........the days of building custom are back.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 07:30:30 AM »

Very interesting, looks like good work.
How much effect does that have on stability of the speakers? Looks like at higher angles it'll push the CG forward a bit.
Does your custom frame have a hard connection to the subs to help stabilise it?
Cheers,
David.

Steven Barnes

• SBTS Inc.
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 10:19:33 AM »

Very interesting, looks like good work.
How much effect does that have on stability of the speakers? Looks like at higher angles it'll push the CG forward a bit.
Does your custom frame have a hard connection to the subs to help stabilise it?
Cheers,
David.

The speakers are very stable sitting up to a 30* angle (as it sits in the picture), going up to 45* it is definitely front heavy and needs to be strapped to the subs.

I have a pin setup designed for the bumper to lock it to a KLA181, but we use these tops with a couple different types of subs (KLA181, HPR181i, KW181, JBLSRX728, and L-Acoustics SB28). For the others, we run 2 heavy duty straps from the bottom sub through the bottom of the angle bump to the other side of the bottom sub.

I will get some more pictures of the setup today on top of some subs.

SBTS Inc.
www.sbts-inc.com

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 10:38:30 AM »

If the adjustment bars at the back were vertically straight instead of curved, and the top half of the base rigged to slide instead of being hinged to the bottom half, then when you changed the angle the array would slide back and maintain greater stability over the lower base section.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 11:02:54 AM »

Looking good... I would extend the front feet a couple inches further outwards.  Or add Mikes idea into the design.
We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

Daniel Lozada

• Gulf South Productions
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 06:09:14 PM »

Keeping an eye on this thread - I've been eyeballing a set of 6 VRX or KLA boxes to add to inventory.  I'd need a solution for mounting on top of pairs of horizontally stacked QW218s.
Gulf South Productions
PA: RCF HDL50/HDL30/HDL26/SUB9006, Dynacord Cobra, Dynacord Xa2, Nexo Geo S12, RS18
Consoles: Midas Pro2, Pro1, M32, M32R
RF: Shure UHF-R, PSM900, Professional Wireless
Lighting: Chauvet Professional
Lighting Control: Hog, Avo, Martin
Staging: Stageline, Staging Dimensions
Video: Blackmagic Design, Kramer, Decimator

Mississippi, US

Steven Barnes

• SBTS Inc.
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 09:03:04 PM »

If the adjustment bars at the back were vertically straight instead of curved, and the top half of the base rigged to slide instead of being hinged to the bottom half, then when you changed the angle the array would slide back and maintain greater stability over the lower base section.

Thanks for the input, I had looked at something like this, but chose to go the hinge route for simplicity reasons. I know this puts my CG a little further forward, but I do not for see it being an issue. It is also nice that they folder up pretty tight for easy storage in the KLA Roadcases.
SBTS Inc.
www.sbts-inc.com

Steven Barnes

• SBTS Inc.
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 09:05:43 PM »

Here are a couple more pictures of the prototype in action. We are still making a couple small design changes, but this will be pretty close to the finished product.

SBTS Inc.
www.sbts-inc.com

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 09:12:10 PM »

Here are a couple more pictures of the prototype in action. We are still making a couple small design changes, but this will be pretty close to the finished product.

Pretty neat setup, but I'd rather see that strap wrap around under the subs rather than hook into the handle.

Mac

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 09:30:26 PM »

Pretty neat setup, but I'd rather see that strap wrap around under the subs rather than hook into the handle.

Mac
Mac,

The handles seem to be an integral part of the enclosure, compared to a screwed-on/bolted-on additional piece of hardware.  Other than potential tampering with the hooks (which are under tension anyway), what is your concern?
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 09:30:26 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.