ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there an iOS spectrogram that lets you pinpoint frequincies with your finger?  (Read 6795 times)

Marsellus Fariss

• Grey Eagle Music Hall

I keep SMAART running on a laptop in spectrogram mode at gigs just to hunt frequencies but I'd love to have a more at the ready version on an ipad or iphone. I currently use an RTA program but it's not nearly as accurate as SMAART in spectrograph mode with the mouse over function that plots the exact frequency. Also a spectrograph shows you 8 or so seconds of time in the window and SMAART even allows you to pause and scroll back in time.

Is there an iOS spectrograph that has all or any of these features? I know there's an ad on to Studio Six's program but I'm unsure if it has these features and it's quite pricey for an iOS program. 
Marsellus Fariss
Production Manager
Grey Eagle Music Hall

Ambassador to Clubland
"Welcome to Clubland! Here's a Sharpie and your input list. Its 30 minutes till doors."

Quote from: dick rees
Just accept that it's a crap situation and take the money.

Arthur Skudra

• SR Forums

I keep SMAART running on a laptop in spectrogram mode at gigs just to hunt frequencies but I'd love to have a more at the ready version on an ipad or iphone. I currently use an RTA program but it's not nearly as accurate as SMAART in spectrograph mode with the mouse over function that plots the exact frequency. Also a spectrograph shows you 8 or so seconds of time in the window and SMAART even allows you to pause and scroll back in time.

Is there an iOS spectrograph that has all or any of these features? I know there's an ad on to Studio Six's program but I'm unsure if it has these features and it's quite pricey for an iOS program.
Studio Six Digital's AudioTools with the Smaart Tools 1 addon is what you want.  It operates very similarly to the spectrograph found in the full version of Smaart.  You can scroll back in time with it and dynamically adjust the upper and lower limits with a finger pinch.  I find it really handy whenever I'm doing FOH duty.  I take the pfl/afl/studio monitor output of the console to feed it.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 08:09:43 PM by Arthur Skudra »

Marsellus Fariss

• Grey Eagle Music Hall

Studio Six Digital's AudioTools with the Smaart Tools 1 addon is what you want.  It operates very similarly to the spectrograph found in the full version of Smaart.  You can scroll back in time with it and dynamically adjust the upper and lower limits with a finger pinch.  I find it really handy whenever I'm doing FOH duty.  I take the pfl/afl/studio monitor output of the console to feed it.

Yea however $60 is too much to pay especially when similar software is priced under $10 AND I've already payed hundreds for the same software on another platform. I can't help but feel it's not worth the price for the single feature.
Marsellus Fariss
Production Manager
Grey Eagle Music Hall

Ambassador to Clubland
"Welcome to Clubland! Here's a Sharpie and your input list. Its 30 minutes till doors."

Arthur Skudra

• SR Forums

Yea however $60 is too much to pay especially when similar software is priced under $10 AND I've already payed hundreds for the same software on another platform. I can't help but feel it's not worth the price for the single feature.
Nobody is forcing you to pay anything, just get your laptop out every time you need a spectrograph that looks and functions like Smaart.  I think $60 is very reasonable considering the effort required for a completely separate platform by an independent software developer and the licensing fee that goes with the algorithms used from the "real thing" but that's my humble opinion FWIW.  The other apps within the AudioTools suite make the purchase very worthwhile.  That's less than 10% of the full version price of Smaart.  Full disclosure: I beta test for both Rational Acoustics and Studio Six Digital, and teach the use of both tools.

I've tried the other spectrographs out there for the iOS platform, nothing is the same as Smaart when you compare them side by side.  AudioTools Smaart Tools is the closest thing out there.

Marsellus Fariss

• Grey Eagle Music Hall

Nobody is forcing you to pay anything, just get your laptop out every time you need a spectrograph that looks and functions like Smaart.  I think $60 is very reasonable considering the effort required for a completely separate platform by an independent software developer and the licensing fee that goes with the algorithms used from the "real thing" but that's my humble opinion FWIW.  The other apps within the AudioTools suite make the purchase very worthwhile.  That's less than 10% of the full version price of Smaart.  Full disclosure: I beta test for both Rational Acoustics and Studio Six Digital, and teach the use of both tools.

I've tried the other spectrographs out there for the iOS platform, nothing is the same as Smaart when you compare them side by side.  AudioTools Smaart Tools is the closest thing out there.

Here I am swimming with sharks again. Thanks for the argumentative and biased opinion.

Marsellus Fariss
Production Manager
Grey Eagle Music Hall

Ambassador to Clubland

Riley Casey

• Wash DC

This is a business.  Assets purchased in pursuit of that business are either good investments or bad.  The business owner with his ( or her ) experience and wisdom makes that choice.  I am unclear on how it's a challenge of wills.

Here I am swimming with sharks again. Thanks for the argumentative and biased opinion.

Benjamin Krumholz

I use the Faber acoustical product Signal Scope... It is more reasonably priced at $25 and has a cool function that lets you touch the highest points on the spectrum.

Pascal.Pincosy

• SR Forums

No hidden agenda or bias here. I don't teach or use SMAART. I don't make money off Studio Six Digital. I have no vested interest.

AudioTools from Studio Six Digital is one of the best investments I have ever made. $60 is chump change compared to the features this product provides, though of course you will pay more to unlock all the modules you want. My setup has replaced a very expensive SPL meter, and a ton of other dedicated tools. I now send out iPad's loaded with AudioTools and an iAudioInterface2 on most of my shows. I love the Spectrograph function, and being able to walk into a venue with a small backpack with the ability to take measurements, verify the system, measure and track SPL levels, test individual cabinets for proper operation, find delays, and generate most any tone I need has been invaluable.

TonyWilliams

• Nashville, TN
    • Blog

You may want to try iAnalyzerLite. It's free, shows you frequencies, and can record up to 10 seconds for you playback to find a certain spot.

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 23 queries.