ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ev elx12p vs. zlx12p  (Read 17897 times)

Jason Moore

• SOUTH DAKOTA
ev elx12p vs. zlx12p
« on: March 26, 2013, 06:43:54 AM »

i know specs are limited on zlx12 right now but any speculation? the primary difference (on paper) seems to be cabinet material and SPL.

These cabs use the same components and same wattage amplifiers. I am also aware of subtle differences in cab dispersion, dsp, freq. weight, ect.

I'm curious why the $200 difference between cabs. Seems like the elx is a slightly higher performer.

I want to use these on 4 aux monitor mix or 2 mon.-2 mains for smaller gigs where i'm limited on power. also looking to ditch old heavy 15" "carvin" wedges and amp rack.

Also looking to maybe upgrading to a total of 6 plus 1-2 18p subs in the future. looking for a more affordable option than jbl prx, yamaha d-r, ect.

Thanks friends,
Jason

David Parker

Re: ev elx12p vs. zlx12p
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 07:28:11 AM »

i know specs are limited on zlx12 right now but any speculation? the primary difference (on paper) seems to be cabinet material and SPL.

These cabs use the same components and same wattage amplifiers. I am also aware of subtle differences in cab dispersion, dsp, freq. weight, ect.

I'm curious why the $200 difference between cabs. Seems like the elx is a slightly higher performer.

I want to use these on 4 aux monitor mix or 2 mon.-2 mains for smaller gigs where i'm limited on power. also looking to ditch old heavy 15" "carvin" wedges and amp rack.

Also looking to maybe upgrading to a total of 6 plus 1-2 18p subs in the future. looking for a more affordable option than jbl prx, yamaha d-r, ect.

Thanks friends,
Jason

I'm not a gear snob by any stretch, but when it comes to subs, it makes a difference. Quality vs. quantity doesn't always add up like you might think. Judging from what I've seen, the best bang for buck (and weight) is the yorkie  http://www.fullcompass.com/product/338399.html?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=googleps&gclid=CPfwj6GjmrYCFQRnOgodUQgA0A

don't go cheap just for cheap.

Scott Harris

• Subwoofer forum
  • Worcester, MA
    • Running Sound
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 08:19:59 AM »

From what I read the amps are different.  I can't find the details now but I thought there was a difference in drivers also.

I use the ELX112 passive version as stage monitors powered by GX5's and they have worked well, but I would not use them for FOH work unless it was a small bar gig.

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 10:56:37 AM »

Based on the published specs both cabs use the same drivers so  if we assume that the published 1w sensitivity of 94db is accurate(sounds about right for a 12") and 1000w produces 30db of gain then the maximum you can expect from this driver combo  is 124db peak. What that means is the published SPL numbers for the ELX are lies and damn lies because cabinet material won't affect that spec.

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 11:10:18 AM »

The ELX sub is generally regarded as pretty lackluster in output compared to the others so you do get more for your money with those.

Ryan Grandusky

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 11:58:26 AM »

What that means is the published SPL numbers for the ELX are lies and damn lies because cabinet material won't affect that spec.

As an owner of both the EV ELX 115 and QRX 115 I can confirm the above statement. My QRX will run circles around my ELX. The published max SPL for the ELX 115 is wrongly higher than the published QRX 115 spec my guess is because of marketing hype. The max calculated SPL for the ELX 115 should be 127db not 134db. The ELX 112 max calculated SPL should be 124db and not 132db.
Ryan "Squirrel" Grandusky
Sound Provider in Central Texas.
Speakers: RCF HDL6a, NX-L44a, 8006-AS, EV XLD281, QRX153, QRX115, ZX1, SB122, XSUBS, JBL PRX835w, SRX828SP, Yorkville LS2100P, EAW SM200, Macpherson M12P, Yamaha A12M.
Consoles: Digico SD12, SD11, Soundcraft Si Perf 1, Exp 3, Comp 24, Midas M32, Presonus SL 32SX, SL 16r, Mackie DL1608

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 11:58:26 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 26 queries.