ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Minimum PC laptop requirement for DJ'ing  (Read 8962 times)

John Lackner

Minimum PC laptop requirement for DJ'ing
« on: November 29, 2012, 07:34:24 PM »

I'm considering the switch from vinyl ad CD's to a laptop DJ setup. What would be the minimum RAM / processor requirement for a DJ software program like Traktor or PCDJ to work smoothly?
Do you HEAR what you SEE? "Listen with your eyes, look with your ears" - Captain Beefheart

Steve Kendrick

Re: Minimum PC laptop requirement for DJ'ing
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 04:02:40 PM »

I'm considering the switch from vinyl ad CD's to a laptop DJ setup. What would be the minimum RAM / processor requirement for a DJ software program like Traktor or PCDJ to work smoothly?

For a win7 pc I would suggest a minimum of 2 gig ram and a dual core / i3 processor. Better would be 4 gig.
Avoid using the built in soundcard,  get a good external usb card such as the focusrite Scarlett 2i4.
Software choice would depend on the type of djing you do. Download a few demos first to find what you are comfortable with.

Tracy Garner

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 01:39:14 PM »

More Djs would suggest a MAC although I'm stuck on PC. Pick whatever software works for you. Serato ScratchLive is probably most industry standard followed by Traktor Scratch. A lot of mobile guys are now using products like Numark NS6 or some other controller based DJing using Software like Serato Itch and Serato DJ that comes bundled with the controller. You can continue to use CD or computer using the same interface in many cases while you make the transition.

Marlow Wilson

• Ottawa/Montreal CAN
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 01:09:50 PM »

I doubt the specs will be an issue with modern computers, as long as you don't buy the absolute cheapest thing you can find.  Even then it would probably work fine.  IIRC, they've bumped up the Serato minimum requirements to reflect the reality that finding a computer that meets those specs should not be an issue.  However SL1 (the older model) was actually a USB 1.1 device and would run ok (but not great) on some pretty ancient hardware (PPC macs included). 

As a bare minimum I'd get a fast Core 2 Duo (T9400, etc) machine if looking used/refurbished or considering if what you already have is adequate.  Probably more important than the specs is having a spare - even the most expensive computers fail or can be stolen or subject to physical and liquid damage.  Consider what happens when your computer stops working mid gig and it's your only option. 

If you're DJ'ing little house parties it doesn't matter, but if you're doing a 1000 person wedding or corporate event you'd be crazy to screw up the gig because you couldn't bother to bring a spare $200 computer.  Yes, for $200 you can get a spare thinkpad T400 or something similar off a corporate lease and it will do everything you need and more.  Uprade the harddrive and throw in 8 gigs of cheap DDR3 ram and you've got a great little work computer in case your primary machine fails.

Also, IMO, if you're trying to be a professional DJ a dedicated computer is essential.  Keep your movies, family photos, bloatware assoiciated with any widgets you own on something else.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 01:23:52 PM by Marlow Wilson »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 01:09:50 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.