ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kramer cat6 HDMI pairs  (Read 5486 times)

Christopher Young

Kramer cat6 HDMI pairs
« on: October 25, 2012, 01:38:56 PM »

Hi Guys,

I've been installing quite a few of the Kramer HDMI over Cat6 pairs over the last few months and I'm starting to have some troubles, just wondering what other folks experience is.

Recently I had a pair of TP573/574 that would pass the image from the Kramer VP728 menu but would not pass the image input from a Kramer HDMI pattern generator through the above scaler.  I replaced the scaler, same thing.  Then, out of desperation, I replaced the TP pair with a pair of PT-571/572 and all issues disappeared.  Very odd, as running the generater straight into the TP573 would pass the image no problem.

Now it's happening again, different installation, different projector, same symptoms, only this time it's a PT-571 set up.  I haven't finished troubleshooting yet, so I can't blame the PT pair yet.  One other issue that has popped up on this last one is that the scaler identifies the projector EDID incorrectly.

Has anyone else had similar issues?

Joe Petersen

Re: Kramer cat6 HDMI pairs
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 02:08:37 AM »

Hi Guys,

I've been installing quite a few of the Kramer HDMI over Cat6 pairs over the last few months and I'm starting to have some troubles, just wondering what other folks experience is.

Recently I had a pair of TP573/574 that would pass the image from the Kramer VP728 menu but would not pass the image input from a Kramer HDMI pattern generator through the above scaler.  I replaced the scaler, same thing.  Then, out of desperation, I replaced the TP pair with a pair of PT-571/572 and all issues disappeared.  Very odd, as running the generater straight into the TP573 would pass the image no problem.

Now it's happening again, different installation, different projector, same symptoms, only this time it's a PT-571 set up.  I haven't finished troubleshooting yet, so I can't blame the PT pair yet.  One other issue that has popped up on this last one is that the scaler identifies the projector EDID incorrectly.

Has anyone else had similar issues?

Are you using STP cat6? I have seen this when not using STP, but that was the only time. I usually have great results with Kramer products.
Joe Petersen, CTS

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 06:09:43 AM »

Did you verify the the pattern generator output from the VP-728 using a monitor connected directly to the scaler output or some similar method?  What were the test generator and VP-728 output resolutions and scan/refresh rates?

Is the VP-728 reading the projector EDID wrong or is the projector sending the wrong EDID?  I remember a Kramer representative noting how that happened in their own office, they bought new monitors but had to keep manually setting the computers to match them and found out that the monitors were sending out the wrong EDID, the manufacturer had apparently loaded the EDID of the older model that model replaced and which had a different resolution.

I agree with Joe on verifying the cable used, however I'm not sure why the PT-571/572 and PT-573/574 would behave any differently, the PT-573/574 adds transmittng IR and serial control but in terms of video they are basically the same devices.  It sounds like it could even be as simple as some less than reliable HDMI or STP connections.

Christopher Young

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 02:56:34 PM »

I had forgotten about this post because I managed to solve the problem and didn't check back here, but I thought I should post up for other folks who might run into this.

Yup, did all of the above and more. 

The issue turned out to be the HDCP setting on the VP 728.  It needed to be set to "follow output"  It's curious that it seems to be installation specific though.

As for the projector providing the wrong EDID, it's possible, I didnt' get a chance to read it on a laptop, and it's a hard room to access to so I haven't been back since I got it working.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 02:56:34 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 25 queries.