ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Power cords  (Read 7517 times)

John Roll

Power cords
« on: October 24, 2012, 12:59:36 PM »

Would it be more economical to make up lengths of cable to power my lights on the truss? Since my ADJ Megapar Profiles have ins and outs, I was thinking that buying the cord and ends and making them to length would definitely be a neater arrangement. Is there a source for molded cables or ends I should consider?

John
John Roll
JMR Pro Audio

QSC, JBL, Presonus, Audix, K&M, EWI, Furman

DanGlass

Re: Power cords
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 06:37:50 AM »

There are companies out there that will make custom length cables for you but unless you are buying a quantity of them it really wont make economical sense.  You can always check with your local DIY home store (Lowes, Home Depot, Grainger) to see the options they have in stock for raw cable and connectors.  I have actually found that it is cheaper to buy a premade extension cord of the shelf than it is to buy the raw cable and make one, well at least a good one.  You can always but a premade extension cord and cut one end to your need but finding one the right color may be your bigger challenge cause you dont want some orange or yellow cable running across your truss.  Just remember to calculate the power draw so you done end up with a cable that is to light weight or way to heavy duty.  Be safe.

John Fruits

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 03:41:21 PM »

It looks like you are looking for an IEC C13 to C14 extension cable. Here are a couple of sources I found.
http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=1023&sku=30823
http://www.stayonline.com/power-iec320-cords.aspx
EDIT: Is it even possible to buy IEC connectors to roll your own, I am having no luck finding them.
Here is another company which I found.
http://www.showmecables.com/Category/Power-Cords.aspx?q=&pg=1&ps=25&fq={attr_display1_sm:C14 to C13}&fq={attr_Amperage_sm:15 Amps}
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 04:04:03 PM by John Fruits »
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 01:55:45 AM »

Also MonoPrice.com

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 02:09:39 AM »

Also MonoPrice.com

Monoprice has tons of options for this. Both iec/iec and iec/edison.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Randall Hyde

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 04:19:50 PM »

Would it be more economical to make up lengths of cable to power my lights on the truss? Since my ADJ Megapar Profiles have ins and outs, I was thinking that buying the cord and ends and making them to length would definitely be a neater arrangement. Is there a source for molded cables or ends I should consider?

John

Generally, I've found the most economical solution is to buy a longer cord than I need and cut it and splice it back together.

However, keep in mind that such arrangements might not make the local fire marshall happy. Especially if the cord is "SJ" to begin with.

It's been far more expensive for me (and a lot heavier, which is an issue on a truss), but I've gotten in the habit of buying SOOW 12 AWG cable and wiring up duplex boxes as needed. For rectangular or triangular truss that I don't have to reconfigure very often, I try running some 4" PVC pipe down the center with cut-outs where I want to place the outlets (often run DMX cables through here as well -- no, never had any interference [well, yet]). Looks a whole lot nice and cleaner, but doesn't work to well if you are constantly reconfiguring your truss in different portable applications.

BTW, FWIW, you're supposed to be using "SO" type cable on entertainment stages (NEC, in the US anyway). While I'm certainly guilty of running "SJ" type extension cords (typically 16AWG) to various low-power LED fixtures, I'd hate to get busted on that some time. Also, on a permanent stage (perhaps you could get away with this on a temp stage) you're not allowed to plug one extension cord into another to create a longer run. I think you *can* get away with plugging into the expansion outlet on your fixture, but two cords in a row is a no-no. Fortunately, most inspectors that look at a temporary stage wouldn't have a clue about things like this, but if you're unlucky and get an inspector who normally inspects buildings (theaters), this might be an issue that is brought up.

Cheers,
Randy Hyde

Frank Jenestreet

• Lighting forums
    • Otis Design and Manufacturing
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 11:17:47 AM »

John

Hi John ... tentwares.com sells a multi-tap power cord, 12/3, that has a molded outlet every 10'.  Not perfect for your app, but you could cut and splice to set the outlets closer and shorten the 50' length to 10 or 12'.    My company, otisdm.com, will be offering a power bar designed to attach to truss with multiple ac outlets and probably some other configurations as well in late winter, early spring of 2013.  also, check out thorvation.com, there is a circular strip outlet on his site...  we will be adapting that design to make the power bar.

Lee Brenkman

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 11:23:43 PM »

Hi John ... tentwares.com sells a multi-tap power cord, 12/3, that has a molded outlet every 10'. 

And, if it is of any importance to you, which it may or may not be, the multi tap power cord from tentwares is REALLY WHITE.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 11:23:43 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.