ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Danley Jericho for large scale concert  (Read 29532 times)

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
Re: Danley Jericho for large scale concert
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2012, 09:16:33 AM »

OK, over analyzed,...

Perhaps, but it is still a good analogy.

Tom, those output/efficiency comparisons for vented vs. tapped horn subs are nothing short of astounding....as usual.

Best regards,

John

Tom Danley

« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2012, 11:56:27 AM »

Hi All
Hi Mark
The optic analogy is good because both sound and light are and act like “waves” but also not so good because the wavelengths are SO tremendously different in size.

If you put a couple SH-50’s or SM-60’s hard packed and play music, you do not hear a seam as you transition from the coverage of one cabinet to the next one.   
This would be most like the multiple projectors each covering a segment of the entire image. The upshot is you’re never in the coverage of more than one loudspeaker.
This requires each source to have a lot of pattern control, to have a points of origins close together. 

Most line arrays on the other hand are an array individual sources and each is much too small to actually confine the radiation angle each box is assumed to provide. 
The problem is, if you wish to halve the radiation angle for a given frequency, you need to double the dimension. The presumption that line arrays are individually narrow segments of an arc ac be seen to be true or not when you measure the vertical pattern a single enclosure. 
As generally they interfere severely, if you lay a typical line array on it’s side so that you can walk the vertical pattern, you will hear it is not seamless and often very far from it.   
This is most like projectors significantly overlapping and producing something like a Moiré pattern but with sound and so if the wind blows a little, you hear that interference pattern very clearly and if you move around and measure, the response is different everywhere.. 

Hi John
Thanks,  It isn’t a fair comparison though because the TH-812 is so large but put a pair together  with the mouths coupling and that is some sick bass with directivity.      I probably won’t be getting one for home use but if there is one around to hear I will let you know.   8X 4 inch voice coils is a lot of motor in a horn haha.

A fellow that came to the first outdoor demo of the J-3 and TH-812 last winter was drawn like a moth to a flame to the TH-812 which overloaded his camcorder microphone.   I saw him walking around with like an iphone on a handle but was impressed by the quality of his video and audio when I saw it later.       
This was pretty loud, you can adjust the headphone volume to scale the voice when Mike walks up and talks to the guy holding the camera.  Most of the attendees were stadium sound related people and rep’s  and at 2min + he pans away from the system and you can see we were out in the field about 150-400 yds out.   
 Later in the day, Mike did another demo “loud” and a couple cars of people drove off to hear it from a couple thousand feet away.  When we got back, the Cops had arrived for a second time and were not happy (being rousted from a restaurant).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MOG_sPejGA

The J3 is smaller and lighter than a J1 but has more directivity (one giant horn), is array able,  has a more powerful upper section but less powerful sub section assuming there will be subs used with them.
I hadn’t noticed it yesterday but there is a link to that stadium using J-3’s and TH-812’s I linked the video to right here;

http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/complete_coverage_implementing_a_new_system_at_80000-seat_spartan_stadium/

And a video from the School;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWtADec3abc

Best,
Tom
http://www.facebook.com/DanleySoundLabs?ref=ts

Quote from: John Halliburton link=topic=140579.msg13044

30#msg1304430 date=1351775793
Perhaps, but it is still a good analogy.

Tom, those output/efficiency comparisons for vented vs. tapped horn subs are nothing short of astounding....as usual.

Best regards,

John

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2012, 02:06:45 PM »

Just a note, the 136db max SPL for the 728s is a free space measurement.  According to the spec sheet the 812 is measured in 1/2 space.  Measuring the 728 under the same conditions you get a max SPL of 142db so a block of 4 728s equally powered would have a max SPL of 154db.
Keith,
The JBL SRX 728 is measured in half space.
The issue of 1/2 vs. whole has been discussed previously, but to refresh, there are several charts here:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?11346-2268H

that clearly show the 2268 in an 8 cubic foot sealed box in half space, on the JBL  8400 building roof. The sensitivity above 70 Hz is clearly around 96 dB, just as on the SRX718 charts.

I have also confirmed it with my own measurements, as have many others here on PSW.

JBL's 136 dB max SPL does not include power compression, or exceeding Xmax, the linear operation limit. Above Xmax, distortion rises rapidly, and will exceed 100% if the 728 is pushed at rated power at the lower frequency range it is rated for.
136 dB would be at the upper end of the 728's response, where it's sensitivity is over 6 dB higher than the lower frequency rating.

JBL has in error published the Xlim rating for the 2268H woofer used in the 718 and 728 in place of  the Xmax rating, more than double it's actual Xmax of 8mm.
An 8mm Xmax was considered "long throw" when the 2268H was designed, not so much today.

DSL is using drivers with Xmax of 11 to 15mm, a doubling of Xmax allows for 6 dB more SPL per cone.
A properly designed tapped horn can increase sensitivity (in a larger cabinet) by around 6 dB over a bass reflex cabinet with the same low frequency corner.

While I have voiced some doubts regarding certain DSL TH sensitivity specifications, I have no doubt that on a cone per cone basis, comparing the B&C18SW115 in a properly designed TH compared to a JBL 2268H in a BR, the TH will have on the order of 10 dB more ultimate SPL capability when reaching Xmax.

Art Welter

« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 02:09:39 PM by Art Welter »

Tom Danley

« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2012, 02:35:44 PM »

Hi All
Fwiw, for those in the Atlanta area and curious about hearing the speakers above with live music and not in a sports stadium,  Evan Kirkendall will be using 1 J-3 and 1 TH-812 per side for the All Time Low show next week.       
This will be at the Masquerade club  in Atlanta on 11-13-2012.     
Evan says come one come all (but tickets are going fast).
Best,
Tom

Teddy Murphy

Danley Jericho for large scale concert
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2012, 08:58:40 PM »

I would love to come hear them, but I have a load in early the next morning up here in WV.  Someone needs to demo them somewhere up this direction.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2012, 10:50:27 AM »

I would love to come hear them, but I have a load in early the next morning up here in WV.  Someone needs to demo them somewhere up this direction.

Maybe they can just point a pair towards WV, and turn them up a little.  8)

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2012, 01:18:08 PM »

Maybe they can just point a pair towards WV, and turn them up a little.  8)

JR
That would require the J5-which we won't discuss for a few more months. ;)
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2012, 01:59:38 PM »

That would require the J5-which we won't discuss for a few more months. ;)

When they are released, maybe these guys would be interested in a few [dozen].
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2012, 02:03:58 PM »

When they are released, maybe these guys would be interested in a few [dozen].

Now maybe than flying them they could simply be deployed with an SEP field........
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2012, 02:03:58 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 25 queries.