ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Wind noise  (Read 6686 times)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Wind noise
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 05:53:15 PM »

My guess is for noise canceling.  The wind noise is is probably all around, while the voice is very localized and directional, so using a second pick-up out of the talkers direct vocal pattern and subtracting that from the primary should null out lots of LF wind noise.

-----

I see a similar issue with NBA basketball games when the put a mic on a coach or player... The ambient noise in the arena is pretty significantly reduced leaving a rather odd sounding voice coming from the unnaturally quiet background.

Haven't they used noise canceling mics for years in aircraft radio communications?

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 12:05:34 PM »

My guess is for noise canceling.  The wind noise is is probably all around, while the voice is very localized and directional, so using a second pick-up out of the talkers direct vocal pattern and subtracting that from the primary should null out lots of LF wind noise.
-----
Haven't they used noise canceling mics for years in aircraft radio communications?

JR
JR,

The noise cancelling mics used in aircraft/tanks/Grateful Dead/etc. have the mic elements very closely spaced, the sound reaching both elements is closely correlated, reversing the polarity of one element lowers shared noise considerably.

Your guess would require a second mic located some distance off screen.
Having switched polarity of spaced microphones, I have never found the correlation between the two mics to be enough to lower background noise (either band or wind) by very much, basically just changing the "flavor" of the noise.

That said, using a crossover for the speech band (say 200-4000 Hz) then inverting the polarity of the pass bands above and below the microphone bandpass output, then mixing them back together would effectively reduce out of band noise almost completely. The band pass could be reduced depending on the severity of the background noise and the announcer's voice range and level.

There are probably "anti-noise" plug ins available that do that with only two virtual "knobs".

Art

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 09:43:07 AM »

The mixing capability in most TV live trucks that I have seen is pretty basic. Is is usually something like a small Mackie mixer which feeds and uplink or microwave feed. There might be some AGC/limiting to protect the ENG transmitters input.

Most likely noise cancellation techniques will not be used due to the talent themselves insisting on not having their voices altered so drastically.

Noise cancellation with separate mics works a little bit with a steady continuous noise like small airplane cockpit noise but the results are not amazing. That is like with a ev 635a in the back seat wired polarity reversed.

Fortunately most pro announcers know how and when to project their voice.

A little bit of noise gate can help with background noise both in the studio and in the field.   

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 09:43:07 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.